May 21, 2011

Bloom Where You're Planted

Native wildflowers in the woods : Why I love every day in May.  
May 11. Wild Oats.
Wood Anemone, thick in bloom:
May 16. Our first Trillium opened. 
They've since taken over the forest floor.. kind of a magical sight. 
Violets, Common Blue & Downy Yellow.
May 19. Wild Ginger, flowering abundantly.
Deer ticks thick this year, collecting my share as I become one with the ground to capture low spring blooms.
Wide spread this year, a favorite for Beau: Jack, Jack, Jack in the Pulpit.
May 18: Bellwort.
May 18. Our first (modest) Nodding Trillium bloom.
Many on their way.  I love them.
  May 21: Forget-me-nots popped up near the pond.
All added to the peak of the marsh marrigold & still some bloodroot. 
And watching over many more blooms to come.
But the best thing of all: Sharing the love, learning, & enthusiasm for these beauties with the kids.  We have the greatest time, getting down & dirty, looking from new angles, discovering what is commonly unseen.  Their excitement and curiosity, the gentleness & appreciation they're learning, it's the best. 
  "Come forth into the light of things.  Let nature be your teacher."
William Woodsworth.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. I've been admiring the May forest floor too, but you know the names better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each picture is magical! The kids are indeed lucky to share this adventure with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. pretty enough to sell pics. i love the forget-me-nots one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures! what I wouldn't do to live on the side of the woods! we just don't have the nature here...so sad I miss all the minnesota flowers :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete