December 18, 2011

12 Days of Creating: Recycled Rudolph & Salt Dough Decorations

Day 3 was Johnathan & Lilly's Christmas concert at school.  
He wanted to wear his tie, and she wanted to wear her "Pollyanna" dress, as she calls it.  It's a vintage German number that my mom picked up at a rummage sale.  The boutique tag on it had a price of $82 or something crazy.  I'm hoping my mom paid about a dollar or less.   
I'm grateful that she wants to dress like Pollyanna rather than Hannah Montana (or whoever is popular in American culture right now.. I don't even know.)  She also wore the headband & scarf we made by up-cycling a cast-off T-shirt.  

Johnathan began one of the songs his class sang with a six-word solo.  Each classmate proceeded to sing after him, but for a second there I was really shocked when he stepped up to the microphone.  


Lilly & Johnathan, 2nd & 3rd grade. 
This was kind of a woodland creature themed creating day.
We aimed to make a cardboard Rudolph head for our wall.  I saw it in a Good Housekeeping magazine while waiting during the kids' dentist check-ups this month.  I thought it was adorable... and then a little weird.  Rudolph's head on the wall?  (Who shot Rudolph!?!

Figures that we had just taken all of our recycling in this week and had no cardboard.  Luckily I saw piles of boxes outside the local thrift store on my way to the school and when I stopped to ask if I could have some, they said I could take all I want. 
I had to wing it a little with Rudolph.  The pattern was supposed to be printed on 11 x 17 paper, which I don't have, so I just sketched him bigger.
The kids really like him.
We also made salt dough tonight, and prepared salt dough ornaments.  Between the play dough & the salt dough, I've been pretty excited to use my woodland creature cookie cutters I got last spring at Ikea.  Moose, fox, bear, porcupine, snail & squirrel.  So cute.

Easy Salt Dough Recipe:

1/2 c. salt
1 c. flour
1/2 c. lukewarm water
Combine until a sticky ball forms. 
I made two batches and found it turned out slightly better to knead the dough for 10 minutes, and let it rest a while.
Preheat oven to 200 while you roll the dough to 1/4 inch & cut shapes.
Don't forget a hole if you want to make them into ornaments.  A toothpick did the trick.
I saw recipes all over the map as far as time to bake,  from 2-4-or more hours.  I used our convection, which was awesome because I could stack the cookie sheets in together and they dried really quickly with the convection fan.  Approx. an hour.

Painting on those to come..

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! Rudolph! How cute, might have to do that today :) salt dough, I have always wanted to do that back to the basics, how fun

    ReplyDelete