June 23, 2012

Best Rhubarb Recipe Ever.

The night before Father's Day, I made a late night grocery run, and in the morning I got up to make a big breakfast for Mitch. 
Truthfully, I had been upset with him, but that's just the way this marriage thing goes sometimes, and I decided to do my best to do something nice anyway.  I always have a little hope for special days to be special,  so -in effort to treat others as I would like to be treated- I tried.  Starting with sausage, scrambled eggs, ham, hash browns, cinnamon rolls & fruit. 

After I got done cleaning up the breakfast pots & pans, I turned on a crock pot of cheesy potatoes to go with the ribs Mitch was putting in the smoker, and set to making dessert for later in the day.
My sister, Kristy, had emailed me a rhubarb recipe that I'd been meaning to try. 
Rhubarb is popular around here, and we have a pretty good source of it, as talked about in the past. 
It's low in calories, high in fiber, and full of antioxidants, vitamins & minerals. 
And growing your own, it makes for very inexpensive desserts.

If you like rhubarb, you will love this.  Even if you don't like rhubarb, there's a good chance you'll love this. 
(I usually pass on rhubarb dessert, yet couldn't stop snitching; a first for me.) 
And it's extremely simple to make.
Originally referred to as Rhubarb Torte.. (I've never been very sure about the word torte, so I looked it up) ..I think this is more of a cross between a torte & a crisp.  
My sister described it as, "kind of pudding-y on the bottom and a crust/cake on top."  
It's just good.  I dare say this is the best rhubarb recipe ever, and I'll leave it at that.
I used fresh rhubarb, since it's still in season for us, but we freeze ours' for year-round use, too.
You'll also need a yellow cake mix.  The rest is but a few simple pantry items.
In large bowl, mix:
4-5 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sugar
1 egg  (I had never made rhubarb dessert with egg in it before, I think that's the torte part coming into play.)
4 Tablespoons flour

Put that mixture in a greased glass 9 x 13 pan.
(I've been taught it's best to always use glass for rhubarb.)
Sprinkle your entire yellow cake mix over the top of this rhubarb mixture.
Then melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter & drizzle over the dry cake mix.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until golden & crispy on top.
When it comes to rhubarb, I like to get things crispy or crunchy.  So I usually turn the oven off at the designated time, but leave the dessert in the warm oven to set up & crisp to perfection. 
Simple as that.   Serve warm or cool. 
The kids think there is caramel in it.  Everyone in our house loves it.
The only thing my sister noted, and we found too, is that it disappears fast!!
Try it.  Enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. New follower here!

    I need to try this, it looks yummy and I've only had rhubarb like once I think!

    Just started looking through your posts and can't stop. You take gorgeous photos and I love your thrift shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Just made another pan of these last night for a quick dish to share for the 4th. So easy, and it was all gone in minutes.

    I have not made your crepe recipe yet.. but it's on my to-do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy...love your honesty here amanda, it made me laugh a little bit ;) You are so right, the marriage thing just does work like that :) Woody tends to get into more trouble for things he has no control over than things he actually did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an older post, but I had to stop by and tell you how wonderful this recipe turned out! I found it on Pintrest and decided to give it a try because it was so easy to do. My family loved it and have asked for it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy recipe. It's in my oven right now. Need to get some whipping cream or Cool Whip and give it a taste test. Thanks for sharing. I also found it on pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this today after finding it on Pinterest. SO easy. I think next time I'd cut the sugar down a bit, maybe even by half. I also might try adding a little lemon juice to the mixture. Otherwise, love the texture and flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rhubarb is very tart, so the sugar is needed.
      Other rhubarb may be less tart & the lemon juice would certainly add to it!

      Delete
  7. Am I missing where the eggs goes in....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      The egg is included in the first step, you mix it with the rhubarb & sugar.

      It's there, but this post is a couple of years old and I should update it to a better recipe format!

      Delete
  8. Oh My WORD! This is delicious!! - and versatile! I am going to make a short story long. 2 years ago we moved into a house with 3 rhubarb plants, THREE! I like rhubarb, its ok. Last year I didn't even touch any of it. This year, I figured I should at least harvest the crop and give it away. I even told people they were welcome to come and take a plant if they knew how to transplant them into their own yards. All offers have now been rescinded, because of this recipe! LOL! I will now just invite people over to enjoy this dessert with me. :)
    As I said, I had harvested some this year and had frozen it - in long strips (like celery- i really don't know anything about rhubarb HAHA!). My plan was to give it away. Well, my babysitter had run across your recipe and gave me a piece (that was 3 days ago in her driveway). It was cold, straight out of the fridge. Angels sang with my first taste! I came home and promptly searched pinterest for the recipe... it COULDN'T be the one with the cake mix in the ingredient list!!! I FINALLY got around to making it this evening. I thawed some of the rhubarb and went to cutting (what a soggy mess!) I called my mom to make sure that it was still good! I got it all mixed up and reached into my cupboard for a yellow cake mix... CRAP! All I had was white (it might've been past its due date as well - what can I say, I'm a wreck). Well I had committed so I went ahead with the white cake mix. I did exactly as Amanda stated. I let it cook the full time, but then turned the oven off to let it crisp up. After housework and putting the kiddo to bed, I JUST sat down with a piece.... There are no words! It is as if the rhubarb has caramelized and there is just enough of the crumbly topping. You simply MUST try it! If my soggy, frozen/thawed rhubarb and outdated white cake mix tastes this good, I CAN'T WAIT to try it with fresh rhubarb and correctly dated yellow mix LOL! I am now off to try it a la mode. ;) Thank you so much for sharing this GEM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! This is the BEST comment I've ever received!! Made my day! :)

      When freezing, I chop my rhubarb up just like I would prepare it for cooking, then I freeze it 4 cups at a time in rubbermaid containers.
      It's really soggy after it's been frozen & thaws out, but it seems to work the same as fresh!

      Delete
  9. Is a stick and a half of butter around 3/4 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just looked in my refrigerator at the butter wrapper.. Yes, 3/4 cup!

    ReplyDelete