June 6, 2012

Vintage Mixmaster : Good Find

A couple of weeks ago I had time on an errand day to swing into our little local Goodwill store.
I had happened to pick up a small milk-glass bowl (labeled "made for Sunbeam") at another thrift store earlier the same day.  When there it was - a vintage Sunbeam mixer. 
It had no bowls, but I knew I already had the exact match for it out in my car.  It seemed meant to be.
I tested to see that it powered up & I bought it for $6.99.  (Six-ninety-nine!)
The Sunbeam Mixmaster Model 12, it was made from 1957 to 1967, the longest running classic model for Sunbeam.  It's pretty much flawless without a scratch or chip. 
I scrubbed it up & it works great (I was whipping up frosting for Lilly's birthday in this photo.) 
I love the feel of the speed control, it operates so solid & smooth.  They just don't make them like that anymore.  Out of curiosity, I tried out the controls of current mixers on display at Target.  In comparison they felt very cheap (though the price tag on those brand new stand mixers is anything but!)  
  
I'm on the hunt for an original full-size bowl.   I already have a handful of milk glass bowls made for Hamilton Beach mixers.  (I'm kind of hooked on their utilitarian simplicity.)    
I'm determined it's only a matter of time until I find one for Sunbeam.

If you see one, let me know!  I'd be very much obliged.  :)

*Update 6/21/12:  My mom found the large milkglass Mixmaster bowl and gave it to me for my birthday this week.   A shop in town had it.   It's a perfect fit!

4 comments:

  1. I also have one of these and figured out how to get the beaters off the mixer but now can't figure out how to get them ON again! Dang! Do you have a manual or know how? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a manual, but I just went & checked my mixer.. I have to turn them until they find their fit, they're kind of four-pronged at the top with a notched out plus sign shape, and then they pop right in.
      The white part where they insert does have a spring action - I can pull it down, and I don't know what that's for. I thought it was to release the beaters, but they come out anyway. It could be worn out. Maybe you should try pulling on that & inserting the beaters. I don't know how to describe it well - hope that made sense!
      It's similar to some drills, how you'd replace the bit - pull that part, insert the bit, and let it close again.

      Delete
  2. Just came across this post. What a beautiful mixer for an amazing price! Can you tell me if the white, stand mixer bowls that are made for Hamilton Beach mixers work with the Sunbeam mixer? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two of the large white mixer bowls for Hamilton Beach, as well as a few small ones. They seem (in my experience) more common to come by.
      Unfortunately, they don't fit the Sunbeam mixer - the round ridge on the bottom of the bowl does not fit the track / groove on the mixer's turntable.

      Delete