August 27, 2012

Peach Preserves

9/2/12
Update:  Mr. Jacobson called.  We had dropped off green beans & a jar of peach preserves for him the other day.  (He also dropped off four more boxes of apples from his trees while we were out yesterday.)  He said these were the best peach preserves he's ever had.  (He's 95 years young, mind you.)  ☺

I used up all the peaches from Mr. Jacobson Friday!
Peach Crisp was very enjoyed, but it would have taken many batches to use up our supply.
So I made a whole bunch of peach preserves.

When making jams & jellies in the past, I have only ever carefully followed the recipes found in the pectin box.
This time I deviated a bit. It was simple & turned out great.
Good consistency. Not too thick, not too runny. Spreadable & savored here on thick slices of soft bakery bread. (Which was all eaten up by the time I thought to take a photo.
Where's the fresh baked artisan bread when you need it?)


Peach Preserves (adapted from allrecipes.com)
12 Fresh Peaches
4½ c. sugar
1 package (2 oz.) dry original fruit pectin.  I used Ball brand.

•Peel, pit & chop peaches.  You can also blanch them, like you would tomatoes for salsa. I just peeled them with a knife.

•Crush chopped peaches in a large pan.  I use a potato masher.
Bring to low boil & cook over med-low heat for 20 minutes or until desired smoothness.

•Pour cooked peach mush into large bowl, then measure 6 cups back into the pan.
Proper measurements/proportions are important in jam & jelly making. That's why this step is important & it's worth dirtying a bowl.
Mine came very close to the right amount in each batch.  Sometimes just a bit over, once just a bit under.  It depends on peach sizes, and how long you cook them (evaporation & thickening.)   When I was a tiny bit short, I topped off the last cup with water.  Nothing bad happened.

•Add sugar.  Bring to boil over medium heat. 
•Gradually stir in dry pectin.  Boil 1 minute.
•Remove from heat.  Transfer to sterilized jars. 
(A ladle is a must, a canning funnel is handy.)

•Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
•Cool. 
•Done! (Admire, store, share, or eat.)
The day I made ours' it was over 90° here.  Hot day for canning! 
It turned out great, and was very simple.  But freezer jam has it's perks, too. 
The good canning people at Ball always have a variety of directions for preserving in their pectin box.

Our peach rush is over.  Now to tackle all those apples, which keep so much more patiently.  And to put that song about millions & millions of peaches out of my head.

6 comments:

  1. I am saving this recipe! It looks delicious!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says it sounds odd, but he particularly loves this peach jam with vanilla greek yogurt!

      Delete
  2. This sounds great and I can't wait to try it once peaches are back in season! Love your photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many jelly jars does one batch make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes 8 cups, which should equal 8 half pints (or 4 pints.)
      Sorry I forgot to mention that!

      Delete
  4. Saw your recipe on Pinterest and I made it today. It is awesome and super easy! It made 5 8oz and 5 4oz jars. Now I am just waiting to see if I did the sealing correctly.

    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete