August 22, 2012

When life hands you fresh peaches, Make Peach Crisp.

Mr. Jacobson stopped over Monday evening with a case of peaches for us.
I was just heading out on my way to town to run errands. Everyone else was gone to football practice.  I'm glad I didn't miss him because those peaches are quite a treat!
I've talked a little about Mr. Jacobson before.  He's almost 95 years old. His legs were injured in World War II and he uses a wheel chair to get around. It doesn't slow him down a bit. He has a lift that gets him into his big SUV & he's always out & about. His vehicle is best known to us for hauling lots & lots of fresh produce. Every year around this time, we start hearing the (now familiar) honk outside - we go out & chat with him through his car window. And he has us fetch boxes & boxes of apples of all varieties from the back. This time he had boxes of peaches. Fresh, juicy, ripe ones.
So between house staining & company & running, I've been trying to use them up.
Peach Crisp has been the answer.
I love a dessert that's quick & easy & doesn't require uncommon ingredients that aren't in our cupboard.
We also love using fresh produce, what's in season, particularly rhubarb from spring into summer, and apples from fall onward.  I was pleased to learn that peaches are just as simple to use in a crisp form. 
The difference from our usual fruit crisps, is that we didn't use any quick oats.  Just a nice sugary crunch here. 
(Recipe adapted from an old rural church cookbook from my grandma.)

Ingredients:
2½ pounds peaches.  (I used 4-5 large peaches)
1½ cup flour
1½ cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup softened butter  (1 stick.  Plus a couple of tablespoons to grease pan.)

Preheat oven to 375°.
Recipes often call for a square pan, and I just never listen.  I always up the measurements & use my biggest glass baking dish, since we have a big family.  In this case, a buttered 9 x 13 pan.
Put your peeled, pitted, sliced peaches in the bottom.
Mix the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. 
Cut in softened butter with a pastry blender.
Sprinkle that all over the top of the peaches.
Bake for 40 minutes. Or until bubbly or crispy.   
Simple.  It's why I love crisps.

I don't have a picky bunch around here, but it's probably best served warm.
With a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.  
We only have cool-whip on hand this week.  That worked perfectly, too.
I was going to try out 101 ways to use peaches this week. 
But the Peach Crisp was so popular (and easy, and ingredient-friendly) it was voted that I make it again.  I made a batch yesterday, and another this evening. 
Tomorrow I'm going to make peach preserves.  We need to get these peaches used up.  Our refrigerator drawers are loaded with apples & we've got corn & beans coming in by the armloads from the garden. 
Tomorrow is also our 15th wedding anniversary!

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up peaches, I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! I made this tonight and it is delicious, though mine didn't get nice and golden like yours. Still tasted good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully photographed! Mr Jacobson sounds like a wonderfully inspiring and generous man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use brown sugar at all? The picture with the mixing bowl looks kinda brown like you used it in the crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't had peaches this summer, and my memory is failing me from last year - but YES, it looks like I used brown sugar. Good observation! I often substitute brown sugar for half the sugar in recipes like this.. especially if I'm running low. (I just love brown sugar anyway, it adds a nice richness.) Looks like I did that in the batch that was photographed.


    ReplyDelete