September 5, 2012

Five kids off to school.

Life continues to be full of firsts around here.
Mason & Eric had their first varsity football game under the big lights Thursday.
Johnathan had his first ever football game last night.
Lilly will be assigned her first locker today - as it's the first day of a new school year.
It's Beau's first day of kindergarten.
Today happens to be a first of sorts for me, as well.
For 5,400 days, I have been a mom and I've had kids home with me full time. That's nearly fifteen years. This morning, for the first time, they all got on the school bus.

Many people have asked, "What are you going to do?"
Well, I started with a morning walk, morning dishes, and excavating my way through a mountain of laundry & stinky football clothes. I'm cleaning closets, getting ready to have a garage sale, simplifying & organizing our home. I look forward to staying caught up on these things with my new free time.
I thought ahead about dinner plans for when everyone trickles home this evening.
I'm thinking it sure is quiet here, but I'm ready to do some catching up on things I've fallen behind on.
My biggest goal is to be on top of my game.
To have dinner ready in a crockpot on late game nights, especially as basketball season nears & we're getting home late many nights a week.
I have bookwork to do for Mitch's business, that I've ran behind on for the past many years.
I plan to stay better caught up in that department now.
It will be brand new to me to be able to go to town, buy groceries, and run errands alone during the day.
This will bring a whole new kind of efficiency to those tasks.
I'll still have all the same things to do & more..  it's just that my time management will be different.
My days will be designated to all of my chores, so that as soon as those kids step off bus in the afternoon - I can be as focused as ever on my number one job: Mom.

No worries about me. ☺
I've got a to-do list a mile long, a boatload of passions up my sleeve to pursue, & will continue to have a tremendous amount of responsibilities on my shoulders.  These are busy days (years) for us.  Home is just as important as ever. 
I shared some important feelings on that firm belief in this post.
I end up reading it every year on the first day of school.

Some first day of school photos:
First there were two.
Mason & Eric's first day of 3rd grade. 2006.

Then three.
2008. Johnathan's first day of kindergarten.








The following fall there were four getting on the bus at our stop.
Lilly's first day of kindergarten. 2009.


And today there are five.
9th grade, 4th grade, 3rd grade, and Beau's first day of Kindergarten. 2012.
It was sprinkling a little as they got on the bus.


3 comments:

  1. I love your list of things that will keep you busy, it looks a lot like mine! I'm so looking forward to catching up on things & feeling prepared for life, rather than trying to get things done in bits & pieces & flying by the seat of my pants so often. I was walking around my house this morning noticing all the things I need to work on, I think I'm going to be very busy this year! I hope you enjoy your days on your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Naomi!
      Hope you enjoy yours, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Am glad for all the firsts, and for the new ones to come. Looks like good things are in order, this year. :)
    Much love...and I miss you. I think I'd be perfectly happy helping to sort stinky football laundry if it meant a good old fashioned chat.

    ReplyDelete