October 17, 2012

Trumpeter Swan

I had a closeup encounter with a beautiful Trumpeter Swan while kayaking on the Little Hill River a few weekends ago.  The sound against the silence added so much to this moment.  It first started honking a bit, then spread it's wings & started flapping.  For a moment, knowing I was intruding on it's territory, I thought it might come charging at me.  Instead it ran across the water taking flight around me in a semi-circle.  I snapped some split second photos.
The Trumpeter Swan is the largest existing species of waterfowl, usually only found in pristine wetlands with minimal human disturbance.   There is a pair of them that nests every year on the small undeveloped lake at the end of the road we live on.  They're beautiful & I have enjoyed them for years.
Last week, very close to this little lake, I saw a pair of Trumpeters taking off flying north, I believe they were our familiar pair.  
In the wild, these birds live to at least 24 years.  I look forward to their return next year.






Learn about other wild birds at Tuesday Tweets & Wild Bird Wednesday

8 comments:

  1. Lovely shots on your Trumpeter Swan! I know exactly how you felt, because I also love to take those photos of flying swans! We don't have this art in my country.
    Greetings Pia in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a noble bird the Trumpeter Swan is - Thank you for sharing this unique series of photos, showing a close look to the take of - Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of this lovely swan!
    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'a great to watch them trying to take off. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I love how you caught the splashes as he was skipping across the water! And love the take off in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I'm not sure I've ever seen a swan in real life so the image I have when I think of one is a swan with a beautifully curved neck. When it's stretched out like that, you can see it is quite long! Never would have realized! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are beautiful photos of the trumpeter swans--amazing split-second captures! What an experience to be so close to them.

    ReplyDelete