January 25, 2013

Sharpie & Stencil Personalized Pillows

It has been brutally cold, with arctic wind chills for several days.  Today we are finally basking in above zero temps.
Our family has remained healthy, avoiding a pretty rough cold & flu season.  Unfortunately, there is no avoiding tax season, which has been demanding my time & attention.  (Not my desired forte.)   

Still the new year is moving along well. 
Of my Goals for 2013, we've already tackled or made plans for a few of them. 

One of the things on my list was to create something every day.  
I have had  in mind for quite a while to begin a little segment or routine called "What I'm working on Wednesday" to share what I'm making, and learn what others might be working on as well. (If any friends out there should feel inclined to share.)  Just for fun.  Because making stuff makes me happy.  And happy is good.

This Wednesday I was perseveringly working on shuffling papers, punching numbers for business accounts & taxes. Not really that fun.  I am done now, for the time being. So even though it's not Wednesday, I feel like celebrating & thought I'd share a little something I made recently.


We have these two petite throw pillows in our living room that I sewed linen envelope closure covers for them a while back.   I switch out the covers / fabric on our living room pillows often.  They get used & abused. 
I've seen a lot of cute ideas for using Sharpies to write sentiments & lyrics on fabric.  Preferring the no-frills, I love the look of vintage mail sacks, military rucksacks, feed sacks, gunny sacks, etc.
So I used a Sharpie Stained marker (made for fabric, and awesome!) with a set of basic stencils that you can pick up at any hardware store.  (I'm more of a hardware store person than a craft store shopper.) 
I added our initial to one, and the year our family was founded on another.  A simple sentiment for the room where our family lives together.
This was so easy & enjoyable.  I simply put a hard cover book behind the fabric, and colored in each stencil, like coloring in a coloring book while curled up at leisure in a living room chair.   
One of those instant gratification, quick-to-finish projects. 

What have you made lately, or are you currently working on any projects?

Happy creating! 

7 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try stenciling with Sharpies too, I might have to give it a try:) Glad you all have stayed healthy and warm in our frigid temps....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pillows! Good idea to start something that you know you'll be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time :) I was going to start crocheting an infinity scarf so went to find my needles. I found a scarf I had started knitting last winter, and a pair of mittens 1/4 done and some yarn I bought with a sweater in mind.... decided to try finish knitting the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it would work as well with normal sharpies? I just bought a package to use on some postcards and this looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I've wondered that, myself. A regular Sharpie may bleed, but you never know, it may work. I'd test it on a fabric sample before anything permanent. I might try it just to satisfy my curiosity.

      Delete
  4. This is so simple yet so effective. I love the little message behind your pillow case, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, these are adorable! I'd love to try this project… can you tell me how to care for them? Can you just throw them in the washer?

    ReplyDelete