February 4, 2013

Delicious, Nutritious Peanut Butter Chocolate Treats

We've been enjoying a delicious & nutritious new treat here at our house:
Peanut butter chocolate that tastes amazingly similar to Reese's peanut butter cups, uses only a handful of simple ingredients, and is HEALTHY!

No cooking required and ready in 15 minutes, it's the perfect treat to impress company or kids in short order.
I first whipped these up when we were without any dessert options one night.  
We've since made them half a dozen times, and I've promised the recipe to a few friends & family.  Here it is!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Oil  (Organic virgin, cold pressed)
  • 1/2 cup Peanut Butter  (Natural, non-hydrogenated*) 
  • 1/2 cup Cocoa  (Powder)
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • I add about 1/4 cup or less powdered sugar  (optional)
*Watch out for hydrogenated oils in your peanut butter. I am very careful to avoid hydrogenated-anything.  It's one thing I've been reading labels for, for a few years now.

Mix ingredients in bowl with wire whisk until smooth.  A smaller mixing bowl with a pour spout is excellent.  It should reach a fairly thin consistency.   
**Updated:  I was making these today & our house was a little cooler than normal.  Because coconut oil is solid below 76°,  it may be difficult to mix.  I put the whole mixing bowl in the microwave for a few seconds which instantly cured that.  Normally it has been just fine at room temp.  It is winter in Minnesota, though.  Don't heat your coconut oil, but luke-warm is good.

Pour / spoon into paper baking cups.   I've done many batches & prefer using mini-muffin tins with mini-cupcake liners.  You can use regular sized cups, too, just don't fill them as high.  You could also skip the paper liner if you have a silicone cupcake pan, which I don't. 

This will fill about 20-24 mini-muffin cups (depending on how you fill them.)
Put in freezer 10 minutes, or store in freezer until eating.
Done!

As best I can tell, my recipe is most closely adapted from Mindy, who adapted hers' from Kimi, who adapted hers' from Sally Fallon, whose all have been adapted by others all over the place.  Many of them call for other ingredients I don't keep on hand, though.

This recipe first caught my eye because it contains coconut oil, which our family has recently been using for several purposes in our household. 
According to research, coconut oil is about 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother’s milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties.
If all the facts that are circulating about coconut oil are true, or if even HALF of them are true, this stuff is pretty good for us. 
To add to that, cocoa, honey, and peanut butter are loaded with healthy vitamins, minerals, nutrients & antioxidants.

By adding a dash of powdered sugar, I'm somewhat renouncing "health food" rules.  If you can't have sugar in you diet, leave it out.   Personally, a little sugar never hurt anything at our house, so I add it.  I should try it without, though. 

I love milk chocolate, and am surprised to find that I actually love this non-milk chocolate even more.
Regardless of how good they are for you, they're just so darn melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
Toss them in a pretty cupcake liner & I think they'd make a perfect homemade treat for anyone sweet in your life for Valentine's Day.  :)


It's Macro Monday!
I can't wait to get into the woods this week with my camera for a closer look.  For now this will do.

10 comments:

  1. They look absolutely delicious... and hey, if you say they are nutritious, then I can't go wrong... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used coconut oil and really didn't know anything about it! Thanks for the info and I will be trying these soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely trying these this weekend! They sound really good.
    I too love coconut oil; I put a big ole tablespoon in my morning coffee.
    Coconut oil is good for people with diabetes it helps regulate blood sugar. Also, I find that coating the inside of the boys nose with it, prevents winter time nose bleeds. Plus, they like the smell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so yummy! I can't keep Mason & Eric out of them. :)
      Coconut oil is so good to cook in - we use it in our cast iron skillets. It's very "heat stable" healthy! (unlike other oils which become toxic when reaching a certain temp)
      I've used it as a body butter and lip balm lately.
      I haven't had much chance to bake with it, but hear wonderful things about that, too.
      I've read you should consume 3 T. of it a day.

      Delete
  4. Hi Amanda, I was so delighted when I saw the ingredients in the delicious treats ... I've been also using coconut oil since summer {also on my face after a scrubb - it gives baby-like softness and moistures in a very special way}. I'll print the reipe and will try it the coming weekend :)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh thanks these sound good! We have been using coconut oil for the last couple years and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled across your blog through Macro Monday -- the peanut butter treats sound wonderful and the picture of the cupcake liners was captivating grabbing my attention... I am from Minnesota too! and I also love projects.

    ReplyDelete