I was reading Nina's beautiful blog, when I happened to find that she had passed along an inspiring blogger award to me.. I had to re-read, to make sure I was correct that she was talking about me!
I've been sharing photos & writing here on this humble blog of mine for over seven years now.
My reasons for blogging have evolved over the years, but this quote has always been true for me:
"The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises."
It puts a spring in my step to know that I may inspire someone in some way.
Thank you, Nina!
There are two requisites for accepting the Inspiring Blog Award:
1. Post 7 random facts about yourself.
2. Pass the award along to two blogs that inspire you.
Seven Random Facts About Me:
1. I have two older sisters and one younger brother. We grew up on the Mississippi River, at it's northern beginnings. We used to fish from the banks of the river for suckers, often catching snags. There was a rocky bend where we could walk on the rocks when the river was low, finding crawdads & clams in the mud between them. I remember being in awe of the rainbow iridescent inner side of muddy clams shells.
2. I love encyclopedias & atlases. If I come across something I don't know about, you can bet I'll try to find out. I love to learn.
3. I've loved art all my life. My elementary art teacher once made the class give me a "round of applause" for my work, I believe it was tempera painting. I was very shy as a child, and embarrassed at the attention, but still remember it today. She always made me feel so special! Later on, in senior high art, our class had pieces displayed at a local gallery. Someone contacted the teacher in interest of purchasing mine. It was an assigned clay piece, not something I was that fond of. I was 15-16 years old at the time, and that was my first art sale. Photography has been the main art medium of my adulthood.
4. I don't mind handling dirt, mud, fish or worms, or helping cut up venison. But I'm a total germaphobe when it comes to shopping carts & public germs. I may as well admit that I also hold my breath if I have to walk down a rubbermaid / plastic storage tote aisle in a store. I can't bear the smell or the thought of all the off-gasing. The same goes for the chemical lawn fertilizer aisle.
5. I never wear earrings and always have my toes painted.
6. I prefer undeveloped, quiet places.
|Kayaking Trout Lake|
Now, to name two blogs that inspire me..
I without a doubt would have chosen Nina's blog, Thoughts & Images Along the Way.
I appreciate her photography style, her beautiful images & thoughts. Through them, she seems to me a kindred spirit, AND she lives in Scandinavia, which is awesome. (I'm of 100% Finnish ancestry on my dad's side, I didn't list that in my facts.) I would love to make it to Scandinavia some day.
Since Nina has already completed the exercise, though, I'll choose two new people.. and I'll admit this is tough! I'm inspired by many, for different reasons.
1. DJan at DJan-ity.
I only came upon her blog just recently, but I was instantly inspired. D-Jan writes with a forthright honesty that I admire. She has known tremendous loss, yet she continues to exhibit a life-loving spirit. She's a doer: An experienced skydiver, and hiker of the Pacific Northwest.
At 70 years, DJan calls herself an Active Senior. She's what I would call an adventurer, and "inspiring" is the exact word I feel describes her and her blog.
2. Nancy at A Rural Journal.
Nancy blogs about rural living, which is all I've ever cared to know as "Home" in life. She takes beautiful photos of animals, landscapes, and simple things, and shares gorgeous photo textures. I've been aware of photo textures for years, but Nancy has inspired me to finally try them out. She's funny and real. Plus, she shares about checking trap lines with her husband - coming from a hunter / gatherer household, I appreciate this.
To inspire, and be inspired.. I am grateful!
I'm sharing with Nancy's Five Facts Friday, because I normally do. You can skip the two extra or see them as a bonus today!