March 12, 2013

March in Minnesota. Our Snowy World.

We're approaching the Spring equinox.
I strapped on the snowshoes today & went for a trek. 
(Mitch got me gaiters for Christmas, a thoughtfully practical gift.)   
I
Our picnic table in the backyard, below:

If I walk where the kids have driven snowmobile sometime over the winter, I can stay mostly on top of the snow.


If I venture off, however, the snowshoes aren't much help. 
I even wore Mitch's today, to give myself a bigger "paw"..  but the snow is so powdery, I sink down knee deep.   The snow of course caves in over the top, and I have to pull the covered snowshoe back up with each step.   Best to keep to some kind of trail.
Not going to lie - I fell down twice today. 

McGee stays on the trails as much as possible, too - hard work for him swimming the powdery sea elsewhere.  While this has got to be hard for the deer at this time of year, it's good to know that without a crust on top, it's just as hard for the wolves & coyotes, too.  They're at equal odds yet.

We've built up some fine snowbanks with spring approaching. 

The kids love playing on them.  About 8 ft. high by the barn..

I love these traditional Ojibwe snowshoes we got this year.  Our others are the modern aluminum ones.  I enjoy these even more.


 
The sun is strong, so each  new snow has been sinking quickly, but I hear we have more in the forecast.

Beau & Lilly were invited to a birthday party at a tubing hill over the weekend.
They had a blast.


Beau and his fellow six-year old friend.. I love how his little buddy appears to be holding on to him.

Saturday was drizzly & wet, which made for very slick snow conditions. The kids had the funniest facial expressions as they came down flying down the slope.




Right now it seems like March is summing up to be more lion-ish than lamb-like.  
The wind is really blowing today, there are white-out conditions flurrying off our roofs. 
Maybe it'll go out like a lamb, but right now that would only mean one thing.. an old fashioned muddy April.

*Despite the deep snow, we do have leaf buds coming along on some of our lilac bushes!
Sharing with Our World Tuesday and Tuesday Around the World.

25 comments:

  1. So glad you visited me today as to give me a reason to visit your beautiful blog....Your photography is amazing; I checked out your other blog too.

    I can't image having that much snow but I know the kids have so much fun...

    I hope to see you again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Almost the opposite to the few flakes I am sharing here in Coventry :). Your photos are so sweet and that snow looks substantial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, turnabout is fair play, and I've started to follow YOUR blog, too. Thank you for the very kind comments on my blogs, and learning about who DJan is. That is quite a bit of snow! We have that much in the High Country, but down here at sea level it's all turning green with the spring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger I used to get excited with snow like this. Now I'm happy enjoying the pictures others take. I must admit, though, that it looks like the tubers were having lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I can't even believe how much snow you have. OH MY WORD! Yes, definitely more lion like than lamb! My friend lives in Minnesota and I am always amazed that there is so much snow one month and just a few months later they are swimming in a lake. Thank you for joining us at Communal Global. It was awesome to visit your world this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great series of photos!
    http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shots! That's a lot of snow! The kids look like they're having a great time. ☺

    Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely have more snow than we do in West Central Minnesota. I am ready for the spring thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful images. I can't even imagine living in a world like this and yearn to experience it one day. So thank you for taking me there. The kids look like they are having so much fun!
    Have a wonderful week, enjoy the snow, and thank you for stoppipng by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I love all the shots of your new gaiters. This is such a wildly different view from the one I see now in Thailand, where we're in the midst of the hot season. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that really is a lot of snow! It looks so beautiful in the snow - a winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am following your blog now. N. Minnesota is one of my favourite places. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really do have your share of snow. But the kids seem to be enjoying it. I love the looks on their faces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Playing in the snow looks like so much fun, more so than a muddy April!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog, you summed up the situation well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow those are thick layers of snow! It looks so cold! By the way thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Your world is so different from mine. We rarely (as in maybe once every 3-5 years) have that much snow! Beautiful! I was impressed with your wood pile and your snow shoes (esp. that you could actually walk in them). :>)
    Great pics. I esp. liked the ones of the kids tubing and your dog. That's a terrific idea for a birthday party (if you have that much snow)!
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A winter wonderland with lots of beauties and fun! I’ve never experienced so much snow in my place, Nara City, Japan, even when it was bitterly cold.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have more snow than we have this winter!
    Every photo is really worth publishing, they tell a real story of real winter and why Finns settled just there :)
    I hope after all soon beginning spring.
    Regards Leena

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful snow photos, you've got far more than us. I wish we'd get one of our really big snowstorms, 4 feet overnight, but that hasn't happened in many years now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you sure do get a lot of snow. Looks like spring is a long way off for you. Great eye, recognizing the maple buds. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's not too late to share at WW Bloggers at www.wordlesswednesdaybloggers.blogspot.com. Hope you'll join us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. And some people wonder how we Minnesotans can take the snow and cold.... this is why!!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. As you mentioned in another comment our world are worlds (or at least seasons) apart. My world does not look like this - although my kids would love the tubes - and they would give your kids a run for their money in the facial expression competition!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a lot of snow! lol I still remember reading about the Minnesota winters that Laura Ingalls wrote about, sometimes so much snow that it covered the entire house.

    I love the cute barn sticking up above it all. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a snowy world, still! The sun is out today. It feels good!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete