April 18, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Syrup. Simple goodness.

I drink chocolate milk every morning.  Usually with peanut butter toast. 
Chocolate milk is to me what morning coffee is to the coffee drinker.
A while ago, I saw a recipe on Pinterest for homemade chocolate syrup, and made note to give it a shot.
It wasn't until about a week ago that I finally tried it, when I had run out of chocolate syrup and found there was no more in the cupboard.  Running out of chocolate syrup is a rare predicament here.
This recipe saved the day.

The scoop:
Quick & simple to make.
Five ingredients, all of which I had on hand.   
(No high-fructose corn syrup. BIG win.)
And, it TASTES GREAT! !  
Johnathan resolutely declared that it's "better than the other stuff."
Ten-year-old taste buds are keen critics.   I agree.   
Dad was surprised that "it's not gritty, like other homemade stuff with cocoa usually is."
Indeed, it's very smooth.
Mason & Eric, the 15-year-olds, drank half a jar the first time I made it.   Without any milk.
I like it because it reminds me of my mom's hot fudge for ice cream - a special treat growing up.
And it'll cut our plastic recycling down, using reusable glass instead.
It's unanimously agreed.  This household gives fourteen thumbs up.

I've done some tweaking to the recipe & decided it's too good not to share:
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • 2 cups sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1-2 tsp. vanilla 

Whisk dry ingredients together in generous sized saucepan.
Stir in water & heat to boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat, 1 minute.  Be careful that it doesn't boil over - do not leave unattended.  (I turn my electric burner off when it reaches boiling..  the syrup will hold a high heat continue to bubble.)
Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Set aside to cool.
I make double batches & keep mine in a canning jars. 
And though it would never come to this in our household - it's good for at least a couple of months.  It stays perfectly syrupy in the refrigerator.
 
It's so good, I don't think I'll every buy chocolate syrup again!

*Update:  It has been 4 months, and I have not bought a single plastic bottle of store chocolate syrup with added mystery agents or high-fructose corn syrup.    Woo hoo!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! This looks so good, I may have to try it! You are welcome to pin my photos from my blog on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless it is in cereal, or mixed in scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes ( or similar situations ) I cannot abide white milk. Chocolate all the way here.
    Great Minds Think Alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful...and easy. I think its very funny that Mason & Eric chugged down half a jar WITHOUT the milk!

    ReplyDelete