April 27, 2013

Random Five: Meltdown!

1.  I broke out the orbital sander and sanded the finish off our kitchen island counter top yesterday afternoon.  Then I moved on to the kitchen table.  Then the Range hood.  I guess I couldn't stop, because I did the patio door, too.  (Project looks good.  I'll take pictures.)
Today I spent most of the day cleaning up a layer of sanding dust from everything in the house.

2. Stain & tongue oil are smelly, and it is absolutely wonderful that it's warm enough outside today to open the windows!  Minnesota is feeling celebratory.  We've been waiting for days like this. 

3.  There is a steady trickling sound outside as we make progress on snow melting.
One of these photos I'm posting was published in Lake Country Journal magazine a couple of years ago.   They're some of my favorite simple shots.   Spring thaw is a slow thing in our parts.  After the long winter each drop of water is a like small miracle.   

4.  Yesterday was my Grandma's birthday.  I talked to her on the phone this morning, it was nice.
I have a written piece on my grandma that I've been working on off & on for some time.  I don't know why, but I have hesitated to share it.  I think I will. 

5.  Saturday update:  I got busy & forgot to post this yesterday when I started it. 
We've had much more melting.  Today we heard birds singing!  We've gained patches of bare ground.  The kids got pink from the sun.  And we saw a bunch of wood ducks have landed.   They're our coolest looking ducks, I think.   Tomorrow I'll be out with my camera.

Sharing with
Random 5 Friday
Weekend Reflections
Macro Monday

25 comments:

  1. Tiffanys can keep their diamonds, I'll have your bejewel melt drops any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our snow is long melted but the temps are not quite warmed up yet. We do have a nice warm day here and there but no consistency in that yet. That sounds like quite an ambitious project you are working on. I plan on doing some painting in my kitchen but will probably wait till next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might reach 80 here today -- a bit too warm too fast -- am I never satisfied? Lol. Happy for you that spring arrived. Lovely shots Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice shots. i think you should share. be brave. i know it is tough. i love being creative. have a wonderful weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the water drops! Your first random fact sounds exactly like something I'd do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photos of spring thaw - simply beautiful. It sounds as though you've been busy around the house. I'm picturing you with a sander in your hand, sanding everything in sight :-) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. I just love those pictures, Amanda. And yes, it sounds like spring has finally arrived in your neck of the woods. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy spring is arriving in your neck of the woods. The photos of the water drops are lovely! Sounds like you are pretty handy with that sander. Would love to hear the story of your grandmother. Happy Belated Birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hooray for spring after a long drawn-out winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those drips are absolutely stunning!!!! We don't get that here - since we don't have cold winters - but I guess I'll be happy to see yours and glad we don't have cold winters. Loved your random thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are magnificent. You did a great job capturing the water drop. I'm glad to hear that Spring is making an appearance in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yay for you guys!! Hopefully it keeps on melting and spring is right around the corner :) It seems like spring didn't even happen for us which is sad but maybe we will have some regular spring weather before summer comes on full force with hot weather. Yesterday was a classic summer day but I am not complaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elegant photography ~ very creative ~ Simplicity is so divine! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so nice to hear the birds singing! Beautiful pictures.

    Sounds like your sanding project was a big one. Can't wait to see pictures. I always hesitate on jobs like that. The job itself is no problem, it's the clean up when I am tired I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got an energized feeling reading about your sander-project ~ it's great to be in the flow in something, like you forget the time and place and enjoy doing what you're at in the moment... So happy to hear that the spring has arrived, ice is smelting - drifted away in your pictures - pure and beautiful! Letting something out, after giving birth to it, not being sure if it's fine or should one maybe add / remove / let it be ... When the time is right, would love to read your Lines!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am up to my eyes in renovation projects - paint, new carpets and such like - cant wait until it is over and some form of order returns!


    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. We opened our windows as well. The fresh smell of spring as life revives for all of us. As to family memoirs don't hesitate as they are the real stuff of life....:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, those photos are so lovely! I bet you are glad to be thawing out! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hurray for melting snow and ice. Your photos are works of art. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love the photos of the spring melt! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely photos! so simple yet so beautiful! great post! blessings.

    xoxo,
    Allie @ Framed by God
    http://framedbygod.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such beautiful images, I'm glad spring is arriving for you :)

    ReplyDelete