May 21, 2013

Buttermilk Falls Sate Park | Upstate New York | Finger Lakes Region

Our first State Park stop while in New York Saturday was Buttermilk Falls, near Ithaca.
I didn't have a tripod with, so I did my best at free handing things and getting dirty, crouched down over rocks & ledges to capture the falls.  I also had on my cheapest, oldest, and most scratched up old kit lens.  (I am so relieved to find that some photos turned out.)  
We enjoyed a 1.5 mile walk through the Gorge Trail, following the Buttermilk Creek upward as it's cascades drop about 500 feet. 
It was beautiful!   Enchanting, even.   



Buttermilk Falls is part of the Finger Lakes Region, near Cayuga Lake (one of the deepest lakes in America.)  Gigantic glaciers carved this landscape of long, deep cutting lakes, waterfalls, streams & pastoral land over thousands of years.
In 1924, Robert and Laura Treman donated 154 acres in Buttermilk Glen to the Sate of New York for a state park, since then the park has grown to 792 acres.

We lucked out that our quick trip fell when Upstate New York was full of spring blossoms & blooms.  Lilac, apple and dogwood trees were flowering everywhere we went.

Many of their woodland wildflowers are the same as here in northern MN.  We saw wild honeysuckle clinging to the rocks, trillium growing under the trees, as well as a few New Yorkers that I've never seen before.




I loved the perfectly circular pools carved out by nature here & there.



And we found it awesome that you can just keep walking for a mile, with more cascades around every turn.





Next stop, the tallest vertical waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains,
Taughannock Falls.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! I adore the waterfalls, and the way you capture the water all smooth and delightful. Who needs a tripod when you get pictures like these? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh, those falls are just gorgeous! loved all the rocks and walls, too. ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are beautiful and this is a marvelous waterfall and park. We haven't been there, but I'm going to have to add it to our 'to see' list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda, George (hubby) told me about your post --so I had to check it out. We love hiking and waterfalling --so this park is one we definitely want to see sometime. Gorgeous!!!

    Looks like you all are having a great New York vacation. We've been to Letchworth up there --but not Ithaca.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely hike and awesome water captures. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those fall photos are just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of your beautiful waterfall and surrounding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, that is so beautiful! I would love to see it in person, but for now your photos have transported me there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda,

    Awesome pictures. Viewing beautiful falls is so mesmerizing. One can't beat gorgeous wild blooms.

    Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Robyn
    http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such gorgeous photos! I'm not far from that area. I definitely need to check it out someday.

    Hope you had a great Wednesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful shots of the falls. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful looking place - the rock layers make for an interesting landscape.

    We do have some rather splendid animals in Australia!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Very beautiful Buttermilk Falls photos. I enjoyed your post very much.
    Wishing you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the water falls -- you must have used a long exposure? Great images Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Pictures of the beautiful Water falls are just amazing! (Do you have a prolonged exposure - the Water looks so soft and fluid) ... and I love your sweet selfie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, these are some of the best shots I have seen today. I love the first photo the most. Have a great weekend.

    I love soft shots on the falls :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This park is beautiful, too. Lovely waterfalls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome place, so beautiful! =)

    ReplyDelete