June 10, 2013

Our Wooded World : Flora & Fauna

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it's my favorite time of year in our wooded world.
Here are some current views.
The ferns are lush, some of them up to my shoulder now.
Some are just fiddleheads still unfurling.


Star Flower (one of my favorites) is abundant low to the ground. 
Along with wood anemone, downy yellow violet, wild strawberry & bluebead lily.

Trillium is past it's peak and looking more wabi-sabi. (Turning pink today)

Nodding trillium going pretty strong.

It's been cool and wet.  Lots of little moss & fungi popping up.  
I call these miniature forms "Shrek Ears."  
The tallest one was holding a lovely globule of water.

We've been spending time watching our turtles out & about in the cattail habitat.  

Tree frogs and wood frogs are also hanging out here.  We haven't seen a lot of leopard frogs this year. 

New cattail blades are coming up.   Wild iris blades, as well.

Little two legged creatures have been busy building forts.  
Must watch out for those "Mad Bears." 
A lesson on the fragility of birch trees was given upon my finding these signs.


More jack-in-the-pulpit, because it's cool and it's all around us.

We've come across a couple of nice toads around the yard.

So many photos this time of year, it's hard for me to select & choose in hopes of not becoming boring.   Swallowtail butterflies were out today.  Hummingbirds at our windows.  Trees flowering.  Bees buzzing. 
We also saw a not-so-little woodland creature Saturday night..  We had a moose calf cross the road in front of us.
What a wonderful world!

Sharing with
Tuesday Muse
Our World Tuesday
Macro Monday

26 comments:

  1. That frog in the ninth picture is very colorful!

    All the pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a little Gray Treefrog, (they change color between gray & bright green) and I love them!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, these close-ups are so exquisite! Beautiful shots indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful set of woodland things - I love the lime green of the fern fiddles in the spring - and the Shrek ears made me laugh.

    Managed to see whales twice this weekend! (sorry!) - and in both cases they were a complete surprise.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your woods are much more fascinating that ours! Of course, I don't spend much time out there. ;-) These are such wonderful "flora and fauna" images!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live it a wonderful part of the world! I love all your 'wild' shots. The jack in the pulpit is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful collection of glimpses of Mother Nature's beauty! The trillium looks as if it glows with heavenly radiance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so graceful - nature at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your macro shots are just stunning, Amanda. I love the ferns, too, and I've been admiring them as they unfurl. That beautiful shot of the jack in the pulpit is just breathtaking. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely love your walk-about. such beauty of nature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fabulous little treasures in your woods. I could spend all day taking photos in such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your macros are absolutely marvelous. Thank you so much for sharing your Little Living Things with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful macros Amanda! So lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a great time of year to be out in nature. Everything looks so new and clean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are all amazing shots! I'm like you...I take so many photos that I have to space them out so as not to bombard one particular post with images...Can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Getting board.. NO WAY.. I am loving your photos. Green is one of my favorite colors. And there is lots of it here on this post. Which makes me happy.

    Hope you have a happy week.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful glimpses into the many wonders of our world. What a treat for your children to have you for their Mom!
    Happy Hugs!
    jemma

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful world indeed! Thank you for taking with you into your woods - no wonder you love them so. Filled with beauty and amazing things, just the place to linger long with your camera and a little peace and quiet. The ferns, Shrek ears and birch bark all stir the imagination, filled with texture, colours and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your woods are lovely, Amanda! That first fern shot is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all lovely! My favorite is the little frog. I found you at Tuesday Muse. Glad to find your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such beautiful images! Love the frog and toad. It is such a magical time in the woods right now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello. I just found your blog. Your photography is awesome. I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love what you've shared here. This time of year is so fun with all the flowering and plant possibilities and nature. Enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my! All your photos are marvelous. I can see why you love this time of year. If I had to pick, I'd have to say the first fern shot is a fave. But the sign made me LOL!!
    Visiting from Tuesday Muse and Texture Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete