June 14, 2013

Random 5 Friday : the Cusp of Summer

1.  I haven't been out in a kayak yet this year, and I'm hoping to remedy that ASAP.
This photo was actually the last time we got out last fall before the snow began to fly.  It was a beautiful portage & paddle in a stunning location.  One of my favorite days.  (Which I shared here - and would love for you to see.)


2.  Mitch has taken the kids fishing the past two evenings.   Beau had a great fish story to tell when he got home tonight about a big bass that broke his line & got away.
(Flowers on our porch from my Mom.. I took this photo during some quiet evening time while they fished.)


3.  I got a tetanus shot yesterday.  My arm's a little stiff, but not bad.  I also stopped at an estate sale and found a humble treasure.  Sharing is half the fun, so you can bet I'll do so as soon as I unload it and take a photo!

4.  Our garden isn't off to a great start this year.  We planted, and then it was wet and cold, and cold, and cold & wet.  Mitch checked the potatoes and found that they had all rotted.  So he replanted.  Hoping for better luck this time.   
Our strawberry patch is great, though!  After a few years of trying to establish plants.. we had to start thinning them out like crazy this year.  (This shot is just a fraction of the patch, and already dated in growing time.)  We should have lots of strawberries this year.


5.  Last weekend we made chicken-fried wild-goose steak.  (Canadian goose.)  We are not duck/goose hunters, so it came as a surprise (to us both) when Mitch said he'd take that goose over grouse or pheasant (our usual) any day.  I don't care for frying food, and asked Lilly to open the windows while we were in the thick of preparing dinner.  It was later discovered that she had accidentally opened one without a screen on it.  
I think we've finally caught up with swatting mosquitoes in the house.  (That first night was rough!)

Sharing with Random 5 Friday

19 comments:

  1. I love the kayak photo - I've managed to get out a couple times this spring - I love the peacefulness of it. Ah, the old fish that got away story ;-) have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of all the fresh strawberries you're going to have this year. I really like your first photo, but all that you took from Trout Lake are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I planted this year were 4 tomatoes and a few herbs. All are doing well.

    Nice that the kids + hubby are enjoying fishing. A life-long skill.

    Thanks so much for sharing at R5F this week Amanda. Love your photos and facts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kayak photo could win a contest, it's so beautiful and evokes mythical places I've read about. Love your five, especially looking forward to the strawberries! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like fresh seasonal local strawberries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the kayak photo -- wonderful! Everyone has a fish story -- just part of summer and growing up -- thank goodness! I didn't plant veggies this year. Not sure why. Perhaps I knew in advance it wouldn't be a good year???!!! I have a master gardner friend who told me her veggies are horrible this year. My herbs are doing fine. Great 5! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great random 5! Goose, not so sure I could eat it, but I suppose if I were swatting mosquitos while eating it I'd be too busy to taste it anyway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful kayak shot-hope another big bass stays on Beau's line next time, however all fishermen must have their stories. I don't look forward to mosquitoe season and am envious of your strawberry patch even the little bit you've photographed ;-) yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the skeeters made me laugh, but that must have been terrible! even one that slips in is maddening!

    so sweet that your kids are getting great memories with their dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that green kayak too.

    Where I am we have lots of bugs and they are so ubiquitous that every time you open the door to get in and out in spring/summer they come in. We also have gnats that have acid on their feet that stings when they get on your skin.

    I have never seen anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a ton of strawberry plants! Wow! I just got a 5-gallon bucket of thinned strawberry plants gifted to me and I'm trying to figure out where to plant them. I need to do some research because I've tried strawberries in the past with no luck, but they are my favorite berry so I'd love to make it work this time.

    Those flowers on your porch are gorgeous! I just love the bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see lots of jam, pies, and smoothies in your future! My Grands have some BIG fish stories, too - I like it when children spend time outdoors and have stories to tell. However, I don't like letting mosquitoes inside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Amanda, I haven't been out in the kayak yet this year either! Getting our act together time? Lol. I can't even think of when I had my last tetanus booster. Probably when I ran a knife into my finger grafting an apple tree 20 odd years ago. Hmm, maybe need to get my act together on that one too...although I'm not tending to do stupid things that require tetanus boosters these days...lol. Hope you have a lovely weekend and it's been nice visiting with you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your kayak shot... we need to get out there & get to working out ... fresh strawberries. yum! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be so peaceful with kayak! We might try that one weekend on the lakes this summer - it's too many years ago since the last time. The mosquitos ... I do not know if the bites or the wiii-noice in the middle of the night is worse?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A terrific shot of the kayak. It must be peaceful out on the water in a kayak. I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a peaceful shot of the kayak.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I'd had an open window without a screen, I'd have had every fly within a mile fly into my kitchen. I open the back door just a second to let the dogs in and I've got to follow 5 flies around hunting them with that swatter. And the bees would have come in, too. Not to mention grackles. And probably a squirrel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a hummingbird come in a few years ago!! :)

      Delete