June 21, 2013

Summer Solstice : Random 5 Friday

1.  I'm heartened in so many ways by the outreach of birthday greetings and response to my List of Things I've Learned
I received calls from a sister and my mom.  Texts from my brother and my dad.  Cards from my grandmas.  And dozens of messages & comments from friends, family, and acquaintances. 
It is amazing to me the power of a few simple words.  Thank you ALL so much!  
On my wish list for my birthday were three things.  I wished to mow the lawn, get our kayak paddles wet, and have time to write / reflect a bit.   
I got all three of those wishes, plus french toast in bed, and a birthday cake, too. It was the best day I've had in a long time. 
We spent the last two hours before sundown on quiet water:  


2.  The ball is officially rolling (beyond the thought process & obsessive compulsive sketching) on our home addition project.  The underground locator guys have been here to mark lines.  Today Mitch & the boys removed our old rock retaining wall to prepare for site work.



3.  I love lily of the valley.  When making plans for our wedding a hundred and ten sixteen years ago, I wanted bunches of lily of the valley for the bouquets.  Our wedding was in August, though, so that idea didn't pan out. 
Now I have my own lily of the valley that came from my parents' house on the river where I grew up, which came from my Great Grandma's house, and blooms perfectly for our daughter Lilly's birthday each year.  I'll have to move it for the addition.


4.  We have a moderate invasion of "army worms" this summer.   There are no words for how much I dislike the things.  They drop on you from the trees.  When I stand in the back yard I can hear them eating the leaves of our giant basswood.  Just as bad as their de-leafing of the trees, is the hundreds to thousands of them that cover sidewalks, decks & houses to spin their cacoons. 


5.  Having the kids home full time with summer vacation, we are going through about 14 gallons of milk a week.   Each time I'm in town I pick up six gallons, and each time I get remarks of some sort. 
This past week, the checkout clerk, a soft spoken, older man, said that he grew up in the twin cities, and there were nine children.   When the milk man delivered the milk, in glass jars then, his dad would tell him he may as well take one of them and dump it in the street.  To which, I was alarmed.  
He finished by saying, "That's how much gets spilled at dinner each day." 
(Luckily not a lot of milk goes spilt here.. but I had to laugh.)

Have a wonderful Summer Solstice weekend!

Sharing as usual with Random 5 Friday

13 comments:

  1. we get those worms here, too, some years. they are moth larvae. love your kayak photo and your lilys of the valley! good luck with expansion plans becoming expansion reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like lily of the valley but like crocuses, daffodils and lilacs they are a plant that does not do well here. Too hot for them. Doubly hard as I grew up with those plants.

    I don't like the flying cockroaches we have here-renamed palmetto bugs as not to upset the tourists.

    I read your last post about education...oh I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Wildly Simple very much . . . the first photo in blue is stunningly beautiful . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to wish you a belated Happy June birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your lily of the valley photo. You take such amazing photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh you can hear them chewing!!! yike. Your photos are gorgeous-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure, but I believe we call those bag worms down here. They killed one of my birch trees last year. I hate those things with a passion.

    So glad you were able to do some "me" things on your birthday. That's awesome.

    And I smiled at the spilled milk comment. Seems that always happened when I was growing up. Have a great weekend Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful birthday you had, I ma pleased. Your photo of lily of the valley is glorious. Those army worms look pretty but like some similar hairy grubs we've had, are such a pest.
    Your milk buying makes us look like a small family (of ten).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fine pictures! I have come to expect them from you, and they evoke such feelings. So glad your birthday was so wonderful, Amanda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! We haven't seen army worms here, yet. They make my skin crawl and I dislike what they do to our trees. We go through a lot of milk here too:) Looks like you have some exciting plants to your home! Have a wonderful weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first picture from the kayak is so peaceful... Lovely wishes for your birthday ~ and all of them came true! The lilies are beautiful, their sweet scent is something special ~ and think that they bloom on Lilly's birthday :)
    So sorry about the worms... Wonder which kind of birds could eat them? The sketch of the project house looks lovely, meaning a lot of work, but it pays in the end...
    Enjoy the weekend, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could not agree more with you about the army worms, I think they are the same as we call bag worms, but isn't that blue pattern on their backs lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow another addition in progress! I can't wait to see it. I was thinking of you the other night when we were out fishing on some quiet water and enjoying the wildlife. You would have enjoyed it. Have a happy day :)

    ReplyDelete