July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day! A Few of my Favorite Canadian Things.

Canada is our neighbor, just a couple of hours away.  We've shared a cabin in remote northern Ontario for five years now.  We kind of consider ourselves Honorary Canadians.
For Canada Day - here are a few of our favorite Canadian things:

Moose.  We see them once in a while around home, too.  But the odds are better in Canada.  We're always on the lookout. 



Bears, too. 
The little one below almost jumped into our vehicle.  (Story & close-ups here.)


Blue lake & Rocky shore - traveling each day by water, particularly kayak.

Wild berries.  I hope that our trip this summer aligns with wild blueberry picking.


Catching our dinner. 
Delicious, nutritious walleye, fresh from Canada's cold water each night.




Great fish stories, too. 


Sunsets.


Moss and plant life.  (Indian Pipe & much more here.)


Secluded wilderness beaches - the best.  (More on those, too, here.)


Wildlife.  Much similar to home, just more of them & less of us. 



Peace & Quiet.
A break from even the most distant traffic noise.  Being unconnected, no phones ringing, just the sound of the many loons in the far north & the lake's waves lapping onto shore.  These are some of my favorite things.   
The less connected we are to gadgets & devices, the more connected we are to what's around us, and to each other.  "Silence strengthens our powers of attention... and helps our brains grow." 
I wrote about those thoughts here.


Happy Canada Day!

Sharing with Our World Tuesday

24 comments:

  1. a big 'ahhhh' when looking at these photos. love that lake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place you have to relax and disconnect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you got the loons!! Can you say "eh". Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Canadians are such wonderful and friendly neighbors. I've met more than a few over the years as we always headed north we our boys were growing up. Having such a wonderful place for a retreat really tugs at my heart and memories...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, gorgeous photos. I love the moose and the bear! Great sightings! And the Loons are great birds. Wonderful post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a way to start another my world posts. your photos are simply breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live less than an hour from the Canadian border but on the west coast. I love it, too. Today I became an honorary Canadian as I bought myself a Tilley Hat! They are the best and made in Canada only! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photographs are just beautiful. That blue lake shot is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful tribute to Canada... I have several great blog friends from Canada.. We haven't gotten there yet --but hope to someday... I'd love it since I love the great outdoors so much...

    Love that one photo of the cloud reflections in the water.. You should frame that one...

    Thanks for the tribute...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky for you to have a beautiful neighbor. Love the photos of the moose but my favorite is the photo of the five kids with some holding fish. So so adorable. Thanks for transporting me through your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots - especially of the moose! Yes, I like Canada too and wish we lived a little bit closer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - I have to say that these shots are stunning. Must be a fabulous part of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I long to visit Canada. It's on the cards for next year so here's hoping. Such spendid shots of the wild beauty of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why you like the place. Never been - but thats a situation I plan to fix if at all possible!

    I think everyone should have one special tree - the place in the link on my post is the first place I think of if anybody asks me "what's it like in England".

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reminds me of my youth spent in Newfoundland. Especially the blue berries. Did I mention both my parents were Canadian? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful tribute. SOunds like you have found a wonderful spot to vacation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome photography; I can't pick a favorite from this post. Such beauty you have skillfully captured, Amanda.

    Sounds like Canada is the place to get away to. I have always wanted to visit. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful tender family moments and great nature! Perfect combination...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great Canada Day tribute. I've enjoyed the few times I've made it to Canada, but I would sure like to get there more often. Your lake shots are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything is so beautiful! But I must say your photo of Blue lake & Rocky shore is just breathtaking. So stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos. It is crazy that I always start singing the Canadian nation anthem when I think of Canada. Weird I know. I do love Canada it is packed with amazing places, friendly people and good food.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool informative post! everything is beautiful with calm and peaceful spots.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cottage must be in a lovely place. Sounds almost perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thankyou for the wonderful images of your corner of the world, and your thoughts. I too relish the times we spend away from work, and phones, and computers, enjoying family and the simple things.
    Have a wonderful week. I am joining you through Our World Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete