July 9, 2013

Mozart, My Current Muse

I learned to play a little version of Mozart this week.  (Mozart's Air, adapted from Piano Sonata No. 11)
When I'm not at the piano playing it over & over again, it plays through my head.
Years ago, I acquired a discarded book on Famous Composers (copyright 1939.. it has that great old book smell.)  I find the lives of these composers incredibly fascinating, and as I hum and play this simplified little piece, I'm intrigued by Mozart, "The Wonder Child."   It is really something to think of a small boy, with small fingers, happily composing music at the age of five. 
He died at just 35 years.  Yet his music is played all over the world more than 200 years later, and through it he still lives.
“Mozart, who was buried in a pauper’s grave, was one of the greatest successes we know of, a man who in his early thirties had poured out his inexhaustible gift of music, leaving the world richer because he had passed that way. To leave the world richer—that is the ultimate success.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

Who inspires you?

PS:  I am far from an accomplished musician.  I just love music!
Sharing with Tuesday Muse &  
Creative Challenge 259

21 comments:

  1. To leave the world richer.....that is ambitious.I get more and more humbler with age.
    Congratulations on playing a piano piece by Mozart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting well written write up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing quote, thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mozart, too. When I saw the movie Amadeus, I remember parts of it still to this day. But his music is amazing. Thanks for the great quote. I am inspired by many great people, and Eleanor Roosevelt is one of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quote too! Food for thought. Enjoy your time at the piano, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving that you shared this about yourself Amanda. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only play Mozart on my record player or CD, but I really enjoy listening to his wonderful music. Thanks for sharing Eleanor Roosevelt's wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah - I do love Mozart too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mozart's life is so fascinating! It's amazing what he was able to accomplish in his short 35 years. That quote is perfect and goes so well with your photo. I love music as well and am always impressed with my husband's musical ability. He is a music teacher and he knows how to play just about every instrument there is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quote! I'm in awe of your piano-playing ability. I tried a few years ago and failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go on learning the Mozart piece. Your photo and quote are wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great quote -- to leave the world richer. You inspire me -- I teach piano but don't play just for my own enjoyment nearly as much as I wish. Life gets in the way. Good for you for learning Mozart this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! I've never had formal teaching. I have just always loved to "play." We got this piano, pictured, for free over a year ago.. it's a beauty. I have some random books, and try to learn what's in them. I'm better at making things up than I am at reading music, but practice is helping!

      Delete
  14. Good for you for learning some Mozart :-))

    In all my years as a musician I never did learn any classical music (bass guitar and keyboards in various rock and electronic groups).

    To leave the world a richer place......something we should all aspire to is some small way, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful entry, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was a girl I took piano lessons (i wish more had stuck) my teacher had lots of old books about different composers and I would read them while my sister took her lesson.

    ReplyDelete