July 16, 2013

Home : An Aerial View

One day last fall, we had an unknown car come up our driveway, and a solicitor made his way to our door.  (Not something I'm fond of.)  
*Funny side note was that he met one of my kids on the driveway with a shotgun.   (It was grouse season.) 

He was here to try to sell us a photo of our property.  The man, in all honesty, bothered me greatly.  And I wasn't impressed with the photo.  I didn't like the composition, how it was taken from a corner, rather than straight on.. how our neighbor's field is in view, yet the front of our property is chopped off.  But it did explain what that day last July was all about, when I had been out reading on the back deck and was feeling harassed by a low flying airplane that made several passes.
Still.. I wasn't fond of the angle, the price tag was outrageous, and the salesman wasn't helping, by asking my age & saying I looked like some famous person I wasn't familiar with.
But then, the younger kids, curious, crowded in around the photo.  And they were deeply fascinated.  They started saying things like, "Look - there's our boat in the pond!" and "There's our garden!" and "I think I can see me!"  and weakness crept in on me.  (The photo is 16 x 20, and you can, indeed see these things.)
My grandpa piloted a small plane, and I remember flying with him as a young girl, being in awe of the view from up there.  I've always been fascinated by aerial photos like these that I've seen of people's farms. 
But I was very skeptical of this salesman, and still wasn't showing much interest.
Then he dropped the price to half price, and maybe in part just to see him leave, I bought it. 
But also, in part, because - this is our home.  This is the kids' home.  This is where we've put in our roots & raised our family.  And the view of the miles of woods behind us is alright.

So, here I offer a little aerial tour of our home: 

The dotted line (roughly) marks our driveway, mostly hidden by trees.  Wild raspberries grow all along it.
It continues on beyond the bottom of the photo to our mailbox & the dirt road we live on. 
The garage is also partially obscured by trees.  The woodshed is hiding, too.  I forgot to indicate that, and a few other things.
The rock wall which can be seen in front of the garage was removed last month, the site is ready to build an addition on the north end of the house to match, for the most part, the addition we built 8 years ago on the south. 

Mitch has established endless trails into the woods in most directions.  There are also countless forts and hunting blinds tucked into the woods here & there.
Between the pond and the barn is an area where we attempted to begin an orchard.  We had a bad winter and the apple & pear trees didn't make it.  But the cherry tree is over there, doing well.
When we play kick ball or wiffle ball, the tree by the sidewalk is home base.
We share this land with whitetail deer, coyotes, black bear, beaver, raccoons, skunks, porcupines, weasels, chipmunks, squirrels, turtles, muskrats, ducks, a few bobcats & wolves, and many birds, frogs, and other living things I apologize for not mentioning.  
The Canadian border is north a ways.  Eastbound leads to Lake Superior.  We don't head westward much, but it eventually takes you to North Dakota.  To the south is our neighbor, Marianne's property.  If we walk to the edge of the field, we can just see the top of the barn her husband built generations ago, over the other side of the rolling field (a slice of it shown on the left corner of the photo.)   There are lakes within a couple of minutes of our house in all directions.

It was 15 years ago this summer that we broke ground on land that had been partially logged and was quite a mess at the time.  Slowly, this has come to be a place we've invested much of ourselves, and come to know like the back of our hand.
And that is a little aerial tour of our place in the world, our home!

I'm curious - have you ever had one of these aerial photograph salesmen come to your door?

*Update:  I am so glad to know that I wasn't alone in feeling so skeptical!  The salesman was not the pilot, or the photographer.   One of my first thoughts was, is he selling a shot from Google Earth?   Google Earth images do not show the detail that is captured in this large photo, though.  We check out the view there from time to time. 
As soon as he left, I googled the company name, and found it to be a reputable outfit from out of state (WI) who has been doing this for many years.  I learned that years ago, property owners were approached ahead of time, so they could spruce up the farm with a coat of paint & fresh trimming around buildings & even set their kids out to sit in the yard.  I guess they no-longer bother with that step.

Sharing with Our World Tuesday  Rurality Blog Hop  Tuesday Muse

27 comments:

  1. Wow - that's a little bit creepy to know people can photograph your property without your consent and then try to sell you the photos! That said, it looks like you have a sweet patch of paradise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you bought it - for posterity, if nothing else. a snapshot of your place as you've made it - and all the lovely woods behind you! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids must love your house and its surroundings! Your first pic looks peaceful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Husband or his parents deal with salesmen. J's Folks got us an aerial ranch photo for Christmas a few years ago. My Mom gave us an aerial photo of my Famiy's ranch a few years ago too. It's neat to see the changes that occur over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful introduction to an amazing part of this world...that is what we are dreaming of over here in Europe! A great place to raise a family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I so enjoyed reading this! Your home and property are beautiful ... now I can say I've 'met' a regular 'Wilderness Family' online! Have to say the 'salesman' would have unnerved me a bit, too ... is kind of strange and I wonder if he was associated with a company, or was just doing it on his own to make money ... seems they'd ask permission before photographing your private property! We had some friends who called someone to have it done through a company here. Your story sounds so much like that family and how they came to build their little cabin in the woods. Their driveway is about a mile long. It's nestled in the trees, but I doubt it's as secluded as yours. It would be such a blessing to live out and away from the city ... we are looking for a place ... have been for awhile now, but just haven't found anything that 'fits'. Wanted to also thank you for visiting, and leaving your thoughts on 'softening' an image! So appreciated! You all have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always great to see a different view point of your home, love the added graphics, makes it more personal

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely different! Once, we had a guy try to sell us an aerial view of our rented house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seems a bit like invasion of privacy. Am I being paranoid? I don't know, but it's a beautiful homestead you have, surrounded by wilderness. It's amazing and lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is pretty cool that you have this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never did have someone like that come to my door. It does seem quite unusual. Perhaps he does that for all the people around there. Your property is very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what's greenery views! looking charming. just a fantastic informative article, written well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amanda your corner of the world is spectacular! What a wonderful thing it is to have so much beautiful nature surrounding you. It makes me want to come and live at your place - or at least have a good long holiday there.
    Google earth is an interesting way to spot our suburban home but there is no need for aerial photos of our little plot. One of our sons has an AR Drone with inbuilt movie camera which he has flown over and above our home - quite interesting to see the neighbourhood from that vantage point.

    When you said a solicitor came I first thought you meant a lawyer for we use those words interchangeably here.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have to wonder how he found you there in the woods. Never have had that happen around here. Have you ever gone to Google Earth to take a look at your homestead?

    Your spot looks delightful. Are you ever snowed in?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice looking place you have; lots of woods. Had the very same experience, twice in different places. Outrageously expensive, intrusive and a bother, but there's something about seeing your place from the air that's so intriguing. I too broke down and bought the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents have two aerial photos of their house. The first one was taken on my 7th birthday, I think the reason that they bought that one was I wanted it so bad. You could see all of my family and friends! The second one was taken a few years ago, and my parents gave each of their children a print for Christmas. I love both copies. Thanks for sharing yours with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband flies and I used to go up with him quite a bit. It was fun to see what stuff looked like from above. I don't think I'd buzz someone's house and take photos though :) I love how you have so much woods around you. It's got to be heaven for the kids to play in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Amanda, do I have a story to tell about these aerial photo salesman.

    We bought into it the first year we were here. But, when the same man came up the path to sell us one from last year, I declined. You can get the same images from Google Earth -- and he wouldn't budge on the $100 price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't met one of those aerial salesman, but I have seen our house on Goggle Earth. You have a wonderful place, and it looks like a great place for children to grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i remember that happening to me once when we lived in missouri...completely slipped my mind till now. don't remember the guy or why i didn't buy so my experience must not have been as creepy as yours! pretty area you live in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. People do this sort of thing?! I had no idea! It is kind of creepy that someone can fly above your property and take a photo without your permission. I don't like solicitors coming to my house either - that's why I moved to the country haha.

    It is pretty neat to see an aerial view of your property. So much wooded area! It's awesome. Since getting our property logged we haven't been into the woods much because it is so depressing! We really didn't know how messy it would look after they were done. I guess you live and learn, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  23. The aerial image is fun and I enjoyed reading about how it came about. Thank you for sharing your beautiful homestead with us! That said, you're shot of the pond is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the view of your wonderful looking home and property! Looks like a bit of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing shot! Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #23' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #24...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Amanda, that is a slice of heaven! How beautiful and secluded, and what a perfect play ground and learning ground for your kids!

    ReplyDelete