July 18, 2013

Random 5 : The Dog Days of Summer

1.  I enjoyed this evening out with my youngest guys, Johnathan & Beau..  We had fun looking for junk shop treasures while we waited for our showtime.  We rarely (very rarely) go to movies in the theater, but with the merciless heat & humidity this week, we thought we'd go chill out.  (Lilly went with a friend earlier in the week, which also spurred the urge.) 
We saw Monsters University.  Years ago, I saw Monsters Inc. in the theater with Mason & Eric when they were small.  I really enjoyed this one.  We laughed and laughed, and I loved the music.  

2.  I mentioned it's been hot & wretchedly humid.  I don't like to complain, but I've had quite enough of it!  We don't own an air conditioner..  It's usually a brief period each year when we'd possibly use it.   We've been running this turbo fan round the clock. 

3.  We've been eating lots of fresh lettuce from the garden.  (Mostly in the form of Caesar salad wraps - my favorite.) 

4.  After a slow start to my summer reading, I've been seizing the opportunity to read some good books this week. 
The Night Journal was my favorite so far.  Currently reading the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I'm finding enjoyable.

5.  Do you know why these hot, humid days of summer are called "Dog Days?"  I didn't.  I've always associated Dog Days with our lakes.  Growing up, we stopped swimming during dog days.. which was when the water got warmer and the shallower swimming areas became gross (for lack of better word.) Those were Dog Days.
I never thought much about it until now, and curiosity learned me this:
"The hot humid days of summer are called dog days because of a star - this period of sultry weather that traditionally occurs in the northern hemisphere in July and August received its name from the dog star Sirius of the constellation Canis Major. At this time of year, Sirius, the brightest visible star, rises in the east at the same time as the sun. Ancient Egyptians believed that the heat of this brilliant star added to the sun's heat to create this hot weather. Sirius was blamed for the withering droughts, sickness and discomfort that occurred during this time. Traditional dog days start on July 3 and end on August 11."
Our Dog and his kids with their lollypops yesterday...  you can SEE the humidity in the air:

Sharing with Random 5 Friday ...and looking forward to a cool front! 


21 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful shot of your children and dog, really beautiful. I did not know about the star Sirius and dog days I enjoyed reading that info. I think I'd like Caesar wraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1-2-3 Lick! I can just hear you in the background! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is miserable here in Maryland too. If I go out which I do to water plants it's in the morning. Can't imagine not having the AC to return to.

    I've read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society three times. I love that book. My all time favorite. Another good one if you need some recommendations is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. ALso the Secret Keeper also by Morton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos! : )

    We have this humidity here in Western PA ...and I do not have whole house air. I run AC window air conditioners in two rooms...generally for about six hours. I don't like them...they are noisy and you feel cooped up. Yesterday I had green beans boiling on the stove in the galley kitchen and could feel the heat from that wafting into the dining room ...this morning I was breaking into a sweat just preparing some food to put into the crockpot ( this at 6:30 a.m. to 'beat the heat' ! :) I am beginning to think that I should take that crockpot and plug it in on the front porch versus the kitchen..ha ha you know it is bad when a crock pot puts off too much heat! :)

    Never knew about the history of the dog days phrase..interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too are dealing with the heat and humidity. This spring it seemed like it would never dry out and get warm...now we are wishing for those cool, wet days! Hang in there! xo BTW, I loved the book Guernsey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had heard that about Dog Days but completely forgot until I read your post. And it is a beautiful picture of your wonderful family, even if it does look a bit humid! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda,
    A date with your boys sounds like fun. J and I have not been out to a movie for over a year. I think the last theater movie we saw was Obama's 2016.

    We have had more humidity and foggy mornings this summer than average. Growing up in "corn country" I am used to humidity, but I will admit to preferring the dry heat we have.

    Are you going to share your Caesar Wrap recipe? I see I have more spinach to pick.

    By accident I found a good author, John Matthews. If you like John Grisham you will enjoy Matthews.

    Great info on the Dog Days of Summer!

    Hope you have a great weekend and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot of your children ... including the furry one! :D Loved how the dog days of summer were named. Learn something new everyday. I'm looking forward to a cool front too -- mine won't arrive until Oct (if I'm lucky)! thanks for the book suggestions. Fun 5!

    ReplyDelete
  9. #2 is so true. the humid weather is nuts around here. wish we could get back the rainy season we had earlier this year. this one is no fun. have a cool weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! You have a Ridgeback too! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. big old dog!!! :) yup, i knew about the dog days lore. good luck with the heat! sure hope it breaks for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a cute pic of the kids! I didn't know the story behind the dog days of summer, but I always picture a hot dog laying around when I hear the term. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an interesting fact out the Dog days of summer. I didn't know how they got their name and now, thanks to you, I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are actually having a relief from triple digits this past week and this week! We even got RAIN!!! Which we NEVER get in July!!! So, your normal weather must have lost its way to you and found its way to us, and vice versa. I hope your cooler weather starts soon. We know how it is to SWEAT profusely while sitting doing nothing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you were able to get away from the heat for a couple of hours and enjoy the movie. We haven't turned on our air conditioner yet this year, but we have several fans running so we can pretend it is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you stay cool the rest of the summer. Maybe you need to go to the movies more often. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh we are suffering from the same weather. It's the worst. I think I like snow better than blistering heat and humidity honestly.

    The photo of your kids and your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photos! It is hot and humid here in southern cal..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard of the term "dog days of summer" but I didn't know why they were called that until this post. how cool! We are definitely in the dog days around here. I feel for you, I can't imagine not having A/C right now!

    I checked out your post on your turbo fan and I am in love with every single photo in that post! I am obsessed with industrial style items so I am envious of your lockers and those awesome nightstands! And your pendant style light fixture by the lockers as well. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun shot of your kids and their suckers. I know the heat is bad. We don't have quite the humidity as other areas and we have A/C so I can't complain too much. Still I'd like about a 20 degree drop in temps just to be comfortable. All the plants are drying up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been hot and rainy here with breath stealing humidity. I can see the humidity in your photo but the kids and puppy look happy with their suckers :)

    ReplyDelete