August 12, 2013

Passion Flower [Passiflora] & Learning More About Macro

I try not to get worked up about "things".. but when tracking showed a certain package had landed at our local carrier for me late last week, I was like a kid the night before Christmas. A new macro lens was on it's way & I couldn't wait to look through it. The little box arrived.  I was thrilled.  And then.. I found it surprisingly challenging to use!! I did some experimenting, with different lenses, focus, & settings, and overall, I enjoyed spending my weekend looking at things under the microscope, so to speak.
Bug tongues and frog toes. Bee's knees and dragonfly wings. Clover. Flowers. Mushrooms. Teensy weensy flashy colored hopper bugs, unseen by our eye before. What a wonderful world to look closer at!

Our neighbor, Marianne, called Saturday and said she felt like walking over through the field for a visit. There is a great big rolling, hilly field between her house & ours, and it's been a few years since she has felt up for the walk. I met her out at the fence, which she didn't think she could quite hop like she used to (she's 94 years young) and so I hopped over to her side, and we strolled along to an opening in the fence, and a walk through our woods together.  It was lovely & I felt awfully lucky.  The kids weren't home which was unusually vacant here.  She visited a while, and then Mitch & I gave her a ride home in the Ranger (a.k.a. the off road buggy.)  She thinks it's the handiest thing & that Johnathan (10 years old) is a wonderful driver & chauffeur.
Anyway, when we took her home, she took me out to see her passion flower vine, which is in bloom. So cool! I didn't know we could grow these flowers outdoors in our climate. She picked a bunch of blooms for me and said to put them in a bowl of water.

I did. And then I experimented with that macro some more.







I have the capability to get much closer than in these photos... but I learned there is more that goes into those microscopic images than a click of a shutter!  The depth of field is so shallow, I found it extremely challenging to focus - with very touchy / minimal range that allowed me to do so.  It sounds like I should use a tripod, remote shutter, and macro slides.  I can definitely see now that they'd come in handy - particularly the slides.  A millimeter makes a difference, and when zoomed so close, the slightest wobbles are quite big. 
I was honestly a little frustrated with the new lens.. and I love that I was!  I love a good challenge of learning something new.  Hopefully I can improve on my microscopic macro skills in the weeks to come.

Sharing with
Weekly Top Shot

Tuesday Muse
I ♥ Macro

36 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is already and going to be even more fantastic as you learn more about it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can tell you are having a blast. the passionflowers are gorgeous - what a way to play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what wonderfully tremendous fun!!! May I ask which macro lens?

    I love hearing of Marianne and her adventures at 94 years young!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your images turned out great. We have Passion Flower Vines here in KY. They are just beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful and look like something from another planet! You learned a lot about macros already, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The passion flowers are lovely and your photos turned out wonderful. I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience to learn to use a macro lens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW you lucky ducky! Great shots with your new toy. I have 2 passionfruit vines but neither has pink flowers. WHat a treat these are and yep, there's nothing like a challenge to bring out the best in us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your new lens! I'm so excited for you. What lens did you get? I think your photos of the passion flower are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - these photos are pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning photos! What a fun piece of photographic equipment to own. And now I have to ask you. What kind of macro lens did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana! It's a little Raynox macroscopic conversion lens (m-250) that snaps on to my other lenses. I'm finding it works differently with each!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info. about your new macro lens!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous shots of these gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW these are fabulous macro shots...!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! I am in A. W. E. of these photos. Truly, I am. Such beauty that the Lord created and you have shown it to me. I have never seen one of these flowers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy for you Amanda -- news lenses are awesome to receive and play with. I find macro lenses particularly challenging to work with because I have such poor eyesight. The focusing can be brutal.

    Love these passion flowers. An appropriate subject to launch your new lens. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That flower is so gorgeous and most interesting structured. I have always wanted that but still I don't have it,sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We buy new gear in the hope that by some magic we will start taking remarkable pictures the instant we click it on to the camera - some hope! I have had a marco lens for couple of years and I still dont use it as much as I should! Maybe this spring I will get it sorted!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS; Ankle is much improved - I can take of the big black boot this weekend, then another two weeks of supportive bandages and then I'm free!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How gorgeous! This makes me want to run out and get a macro lens - and a passion flower. My "Want" list is getting pretty long.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amanda,
    Really enjoyed looking at these pictures and the story that went with them! The passion flower has so much glorious detail and color, I also enjoyed the grouping of them as well.
    Thank you for sharing so much of your talent and goodness!
    Warm Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you are just learning to use a macro lens, you are a very quick learner, because these photos are excellent. Depth of field is one of my biggest challenges when using a macro lens. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say you off to a great start. These photos are amazing.
    I really loved reading your story.. thanks..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic Amanda, wow!!! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful flower! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like them before. So sweet that you went on a walk with your friend. I love it. I bet it is frustrating trying to learn the quirks of the new lens! But I'm sure you'll have it down in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning photos! The lens is still new -- you sound determined, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. These photos look professional to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Amanda! These are so great ! But the story about your neighbor is even better...so nice to be able to spend time with her. She seems to be a very interesting lady.
    I am now looking into Macro lenses ...curios to learn about yours.But you are already doing extremely well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look like you are a quick learning, and I can't wait to see how your photography grows as you learn so more - these are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those shots are great. Sometimes, too close is a bit too much, but I like what you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Most impressive!!! They are almost dancing. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh these are gorgeous! And I have been researching macro lenses myself...after looking at these shots I'm feeling like I need to make a decision...STAT! :)

    ReplyDelete