August 23, 2013

Random Five : Milestones

1. As this posts, it's officially our anniversary.  We were married outdoors on a late summer afternoon sixteen years ago.  I rarely think about our wedding day.  I think weddings are somewhat overdone & overrated.  But the years since are quite a lot to look back on.
I took this photo of our wedding bands on our anniversary a few years ago.
You can see more photos & some personal thoughts behind the rings here.

2.  I'm loving the hummingbirds zipping around our yard and eating from the feeder outside my kitchen sink window.  
 
3.  I dropped firstborn #1 off for his first two hours of behind the wheel driver's training this week.  
Mason & Eric are more experienced at operating many types of motorized vehicles & machinery than a lot of grown men, but they have mainly rural / highway driving experience so far.  "Town" is in the opposite direction of school & sports, and they almost never go there with me.   So I was feeling a little nervous about traffic, stoplights, roundabouts & 8-lane four-way stops. 
But I was even more anxious at the thought of my quiet kid having to spend two hours in a small car with someone they don't know.  How awkward to imagine!  Mason & Eric are not much for small talk.
Afterward, the instructor told me she was very impressed with Mason's driving control.  But that he only said about twenty words throughout the whole two hours.    
Eric does his first two hours in town tomorrow.

4.  At exactly six-and-a-half years of age, Beau lost his "first" tooth this week.  He was OVER THE MOON with giddiness.
Last November he had to have an emergency tooth extraction at the dentist - which was all-around not a cool experience..  So technically he lost a tooth already (it's going to take a while for that one to grow back in.)  But this was his first wiggly tooth, and he got it out himself while laying in bed at night.  It more or less fell out, and - to his great surprise & delight - was painless & wonderful.  He was so happy. 

His was the 4th tooth lost in our household over the past couple of weeks.

5.  I'm all caught up to date on our home addition project..  From sharing plans.  To tearing up our yard.   And onto framing walls.  We're being pulled in more directions than we know what to do with this weekend, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some building progress.  It may have been in the 90's here this week, but Jack Frost is just around our corner!

Happy Weekend!

Sharing with  Random 5 Friday  Weekly Top Shot   Weekend in B&W

34 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your random 5. Happy anniversary! My husband and I will be married 10 years in November.

    That's great that your sons already have experience operating vehicles. That will help a lot, even if they don't yet have a lot of experience on the highway. And yay for your little one's tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 16th Anniversary!!! Awesome :)

    Oh, Your boy is a cutie pie with or without that front tooth. I remember when mine would lose those teeth. Now I look forward to seeing my grandchildren lose them.

    Projects...they never end, do they?

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two teen boys driving at the same time back in the day and I was always worried about them. Welcome to phase two Amanda... :)

    Love the toothless grin above. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Drivers Ed -- I remember those days. You and yours are busy. The first wiggly tooth extraction -- red letter day. Beau is too cute. Look at that smile! I love humming birds. Good luck with the building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy anniversary and your post was a fun read! :) What an adorable smile on your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little fellow is too adorable! So happy for him...and for you and hubby. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! 16 years is quite an accomplishment these days! Keep it up!

    Congratulations to the snaggletooth....hope the Tooth Fairy was good to him.

    I'm with you on it being awkward to spend two hours in a car with someone you don't know. When I was young, there were three kids to a teacher in the car....the two riding were supposed to be "observing"....we'd switch drivers every so often so that each got their time behind the wheel. Life is surely fixing to change for your household!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific - Family Five - kind of post this is . . really special.
    GREAT photo of the toothless smile . . and - How Brave are YOU - willing to drop off your own for driving lessons . . .

    I'm thinkin' i might have stayed close - and followed the vehicle they were in . . YOU are Amazing.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, happy anniversary to you both! You have such a beautiful family, and I love peeking in and sharing along with your other followers in the life you have created. Your kids are growing up so fast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that sweet freckled-face, toothless boy! :) good luck to both of your young drivers! and i hope you get to work on the house addition, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, yes, and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! I really like your photo of the wedding rings on the stump. I guess I should say congratulations to Beau as well. His grin in your photo is a mile wide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary, you're newly weds. What fun with the tooth loses. And yes indeed Jack Frost is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yes! Important milestones, both, and I love the way you told the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big doings in your household! I enjoyed reading about them. Thanks for following my blog. I am looking forward to joining your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I were married in London ...both being students and on a small scholarship.We had our arents nd some friends-nothing special but exactly what we wanted! I couldn't imagine spending a fortune on a dress or a party. But: " Happy Anniversary " to you.
    My second son drove today for 2hours on the motorway and I was looking at him and thought " my little one is driving"? Yesterday he was the boy smiling broadly with no teeth ! Milestones to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary!!! I agree with you about weddings. We just had a small ceremony in my Dad's back yard on a whim and only a handful of family was there. We did have a bigger reception after getting back from our honeymoon, but I don't regret not having a huge church wedding. Just not my style! And we spent all our money on the awesome honeymoon for us, not a big wedding for our family!

    I have to say, your Beau is such a cutie! So sweet that he was happy about losing his first tooth :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary Amanda & Mitch! Ain't it incredible how the years just flow by! And congratulations on the tooth .... and the driving lessons with Mason and Eric - soon there's less driving for you, when they're able to drive to the training and school by themselves. I hope Jack Frost is not early this year, so you have time to go on with the building project.
    Enjoy the weekend :-)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary, Amanda! I agee with your "Weedings are overrated" comment. Good luck on your house projects. You are right,frosty will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy anniversary, Amanda! Your little guy looks SO happy! My granddaughter lost her first tooth when she was out to dinner with us. She screamed and the whole restaurant looked on to make sure she was OK. So exciting! I do love the photo of your wedding rings. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. congrats on the anniversary!

    The first time my daughter took the car out on her own she backed into a tree in our yard. You think I should have worried about her continuing on her journey?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay for a lost (naturally) tooth! :)

    And a wonderful 16th Anniversary to you both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoy every minute.... they grow up so fast. And Happy Anniversary as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely wonderful b&w photo! Full of atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That little toothless grin is adorable.
    Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your black and white photo! Great background and framing. Happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy anniversary! I love Beau's toothy (or toothless) smile.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Shots! I love your post and more blissful life ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always enjoy reading your blog.. Your son looks adorable with his front tooth missing. Happy Anniversary my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely photo! Wishing you a belated happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i'm right behind you in married years. i kept ours simple too. time seems to fly by. Enjoy the weather and our wonderful long weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awww - happy anniversary! Lovely shots, especially the one of the rings.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beau looks delighted! Quite a milestone. One of our twins lost her two first teeth prematurely - something to do with a game with older brother and a fabric belt held between her teeth....not pretty but at least it was instant.

    ReplyDelete