August 30, 2013

Summer's End / Mixed Emotions (and an Alternate Five Facts)

This ended up to be an emotional-spill post.  
So I'm here at the top to share an alternative Random Five,
for those who wish to skip the rest.  ☺

1.  We had golf ball sized hail & thunderstorms today, but never lost power.
2.  I'm reading the Poisonwood Bible, it takes place in the Congo.
3.  My toes are currently painted aqua blue - a fact for Nancy!
4.  Raccoons got into a few ears of our sweet corn, so it was time to start picking this week.
5.  Here is a random photo I took in the village of Owego, NY in May. 
We had left town & were exploring this beautiful waterfall near Ithaca by 2 pm.  Otherwise - I so would've dropped in!


Original post:

1.  This has been our last week of summer vacation.  The kids start back to school after Labor Day.  I'll have an empty nest during day hours once again, and have mixed feelings about it.   Productive days for me, but lonely ones, and always a little bittersweet to see them all head off another year older.  

2.  Mason & Eric had a football scrimmage with six schools Saturday.  They won every game.
They've worked so hard all summer & are in top shape for the season.  We've been gearing up with anticipation for our first game Friday night.. when Mason (starting quarterback & valuable defensive player) hyper-extended his knee in practice Weds. evening.   More mixed feelings.   Excited, nervous, worried, bummed, hopeful. 

3.  Even though we got going much later than planned, I was SO excited about our house addition project. Since starting construction, Mitch has been pulled away unexpectedly to work elsewhere for the past couple of weeks. (Still no bedroom windows. It's been HOT.  Today the monsoons came.)
In the meantime, we decided to have our apron up to the new garage paved, and it all went haywire & turned into a major disaster.  My excitement is still there somewhere.. but feeling my spirit a little crushed by all the devastation.  The paving project went from a "we'll be in and out tomorrow" single day project.. to a disaster spanning three weeks.  They plan to return next week to tear out & re-do it all (and hopefully fix all that was harmed in their path.)  This has been overwhelming to me, watching my summer's work smashed to smithereens.    

4.  The change in seasons this time of year is always a mixed sort of feeling.  Sad to see summer gone so quickly.  We never made it to our cabin in northern Ontario this summer.   No anniversary getaway, not even dinner or an ice cream cone.  Looking forward to things that fall brings, but there is a sense of urgency in the fall for us, to pull in the harvests, batten down the hatches, cross off the to-do lists before winter comes.
There is never the same feeling as winter goes.  Fall is about rushing to get things done.  Spring is about waiting to get out & do things. 

5.  There was much to celebrate this week.  My dad's 60th birthday.  Marianne's sister, Helen, turned 100.  We had a gathering for my brother's wife who is expecting their first baby this fall.  She was showered in gifts, and I got to visit with aunts & grandmas.  It happened to be the same day as the awesome football scrimmage, which I was pretty torn about missing, as I said at the time- you never know when someone's going to get hurt & you might not get to see them play again this season. 
Tough, faced with Mason's knee just a few days later.  I want to see him play!

Ups & downs, & pulled in all directions lately. 
This just barely put a dent in my week.
I realize I might sound like a basket case.  In that case:


For prettier, more scenic photos, check out my last post.
Next week is all new again.
Happy last weekend of summer! 

28 comments:

  1. cyber {{hugs}}, Amanda! I'm so sorry about your son's knee. I know that must be so disappointing...to everyone. I hope it heals quickly. Sometimes it seems like life is just throwing stones but it WILL get better. I know that's not a consolation right now. I do feel the same way about the seasons. I always look forward to autumn but it is a busy time getting ready for winter. Take care and I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a {{hug}}. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I would have been right next to you at the photo lecture. I read the Poisonwood Bible years ago. I think they made a movie as well. I like Kingsolver. Her new book ummm.....whose name I can't remember...is very good. I HATE hail. Baseball size balls decimated the town I lived in during the summer of '04. Peoples roofs, siding, windows, cars...you name it. We had all of those things destroyed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was introduced to Kingsolver's books just this year and love them.
      There were tornado sightings very near us yesterday, too. Natural disasters & weather can be so damaging. The town, Owego, NY - mentioned at the top of the post where I took the photo of the photo lecture sign - was nearly destroyed a few years ago by floods. They say it's a miracle the town made a comeback. I really loved that little town!

      Delete
  4. Hugs, Hugs and more Hugs!!! You had quite a week/summer. Love aqua blue (on toes or otherwise) and Nancy will enjoy! Football season has started and of course you want to see the boys play. Keep celebrating those milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, next week is a fresh start. One can only do what one can do. I've been pondering your last post and have shared it with my children too......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope that project is finished soon, since as you said, fall is here, and winter is not far behind. I do hope Mason's knee is all right! Sending you that hug, can you feel it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. really sorry about #3! that would be dreadful and draining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, Things sound pretty stressful for you right now. So here is a (hug)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about Mason's knee. Hopefully it will soon heal and he will be back in the game as good as ever. It sounds as if the coming week has to be better than the week you had. I'm glad you didn't have any damage from the hail storm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer about the knee. Both our sons had football and basketball injuries in high school. They recovered and miss only a few games but so worrisome at the time. Poisonwood was my first Kingsolver boo and I quickly became addicted to here writing....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poisonwood is my 4th or 5th Kingsolver book since the start of this summer... I too, have quickly become addicted to her writing! :)

      Delete
  11. The end of summer is always bittersweet. I always feel like I didn't finish enough on my to-do list of summer pleasures, but in reality, I did enough. :) And fall is my very favorite of seasons!

    I loved the Poisonwood Bible! I also really liked Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Prodigal Summer! That was my first book of hers.
      I just read the Bean Trees, too.

      Delete
  12. I'm sending you a big hug! It has to be so devastating to see the setbacks with your new addition. I've never lived through a major renovation, but I've heard it is so hard. I know it will be worth it in the end, but getting there is another story. I hope things get better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about the tough week you have had.. I will send some positive good vibes your way my friend.

    And Great Big Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. {{hugs}} my friend -- some weeks, everything just turns to sh*t. And I'm with you on Autumn -- it's difficult for me to truly enjoy due to all the winter prep that goes on.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. sending hugs.....hope mason's knee is better...i hate the end of summer and kids going back to school...always such a sad time for me. we started back on the 21st and are already in the mix of it all, blah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh ,I hope that his knee will be better soon .My sons will be off to university next week again and my daughter will be back at school on Monday ( no labour day over here). Am busy washing and preparing ,trying to get on top of the weed in my garden and ...and... The end of the summer is always to early for me...
    Wish you luck with your home addition program.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Busy, Busy, Busy!

    Hope that the ice on the knee helped and that you get some window soon!

    Encouraging thoughts being sent from Australia!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Amanda, a huge hug is on it's way to you! So sorry for the devastaed Work you've llaid so much energy in ... and for Mason's knee - I hope he's better soon and can join the game! Oh I feel also the bittersweet farewell to the summer being hard this year ... After two weeks of the "normal" everyday life with work and schools the routines are about to be re-established Again ... Yet I do cherish the weekends a lot, hoping they'd last for a bit longer. Thank you for the book recommendation - I'll write the title down right away.
    Cherish the moments when Mitch is at home - even when working side by side with the home addition and all the preparing for the Winter!
    Hugs. Nina

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited to see what Fall brings, too...and thankful that college football is underway! :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh, I'm sorry! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm quite curious as to what you think of the Poisonwood Bible. I read and reviewed it on my other blog some time back. It was my first Kingsolver and I became a fan of her writing. I missionary father in the book was too put it kindly appalling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to see if I can find that review! I am 400 some pages down, and deeply fascinated with this book - both the topic, and her writing, which is brilliant. It's all I can do to get done all the other things that need to be done - I just want to read!
      Indeed, Nathan Price is appalling.

      Delete