September 12, 2013

Fresh Eggs


One of Lilly's chickens started laying this past week. So far the kids have found four eggs.  (One broken, and three perfect.) This afternoon after school, Lilly was out giving fresh water & tending to the coop when she witnessed the 4th one being layed. 
She came in, eyes big with excitement, and said, "I just SAW a chicken lay an egg!"  It was Lucy, one of her two buffs.  Lilly gave this animated play-by-play: 
"The other chickens were outside. She was alone in there, and walked to the corner.  Then she got all puffed up (arms gesturing out like little teapot handles at her sides) and started breathing really hard, and then - I just heard the egg fall!"  Apparently Lucy is not a shy layer.  And Lilly thought it was very cool.
They've been beautifully sized eggs, just a little smaller than store-bought. 
Given to Lilly for her birthday, we estimate that they are 5 ½ months old now. 
I wasn't sure if they'd come into laying age before the days got shorter & colder weather arrived & how that would work out. 
Pretty exciting!
Now if we can just get her to use the nesting boxes.  So far all four eggs have been layed in a corner on the floor.  ☺ 

12 comments:

  1. That IS exciting! Wonderful that your daughter saw how real food comes about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How utterly exciting!!!! Birth of any kind is a wonder and to witness it first hand at a young age, it is even more awesome and what a thrill to have such a young chicken already laying. If she likes that particular corner to lay in, just put some straw there to protect the eggs and all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that's too cool - and cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? I cannot imagine how neat it would be to see an egg being laid, by my own chicken! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo! Success with the chickens! I'll bet your daughter was so thrilled. I would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love the fresh excitement - both for yourself and especially for Lilly! We kept chickens during my childhood, loved having fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... That's amazing.... I enjoyed every bit of your blog...
    Lily is really pretty.... Love to follow you... So homely...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool that Lilly was able to see it being laid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting for Lily! The eggs really look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting! I remember the first time I actually saw a chicken lay an egg and I was fascinated. The eggs are really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda,
    Thank You for sharing Lilly's egg excitement. I can just see the sparkle in her eye as she told you her story.

    One of my new hens is not doing very good. She hides in the corner of the coop with her head down. When I see her I take her outside, but it doesn't do much good. I thought she got hurt and was observing her one day. Another hen came over and pecked at her. Now I wonder if she is getting bullied. I'm not sure what to do, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting for you daughter to get to see that.. Those are some nice looking eggs.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete