September 19, 2013

My Favorite Things About Fall

The autumn equinox is this weekend.  Last night was the Harvest Moon.  Here in northern Minnesota we often experience our first frost around this time, and we're seeing more signs of fall by the day. 
There are a hundred reasons this change in seasons is a completely overwhelming & hectic time for me.
I almost started listing them just now. 
But instead, I'm going to share the things I love about this time of year.  

I love transitioning from flip-flops to my favorite boots.  And warm socks, scarves & sweaters.
And my stocking hat.  Once crisp air arrives, my hat & I are not easily parted.

Today it is gray & calm & drizzly.  It's a wonderful day to smell something cooking on the stove or baking in the oven.  I love the cozy feeling of days like this, and the way the colors stands out against the gray outside.

A kitchen overflowing with garden harvests is very rewarding. 

Football season.  Fall brings us nine weeks of brisk, exciting game nights. 

Fall also brings hunting season. 
Our archers & marksmen bring in enough wild protein in the fall to sustain our family the rest of the year through.

Being on the water with floating leaves.. bliss.

#1 on my wish list is to enjoy at least one fall day by kayak.
Last fall we enjoyed a couple of gorgeous fall kayak excursions on secluded water.
This day of portage & paddling was as beautiful as a day gets.


Mushrooms.   I love having mushrooms like these pop up in our backyard. 

Apples on our table.

And pumpkins on our porch.

I love that there is daylight when the kids take off down the driveway to the school bus in the morning.
Soon the days will be shorter, the mornings darker (and much colder.)

The rich smell of dried leaves. 
Exploring paths in the woods.  There's no time like it.

Leaf piles in the yard. 

And right up there with all that's changing outdoors, is the gravitation toward the comforts of home.  Time to read, create, & imagine by warm fires. 
We haven't made our first fire yet, but it won't be long. 
(I've heard many people have been running their furnaces.. we hold out a bit longer with warm blankets & a bit of sisu.)
I wrote this post about the Yin & Yang of Seasons.  It's a phenomenon we feel fully up north. 

We'll soon be faced with a frozen world & long winter ahead.
First, we'll savor (while we scurry) all that is Fall. 

29 comments:

  1. Words like beautiful and lovely just aren't cutting it for this post Amanda -- well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you live in the perfect area for autumn. i always get melancholy at this time of year, wishing for the wisconsin season i knew in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall in Wisconsin would leave many states paling in comparison time of year!

      Delete
  3. I would love to spend the day right in these images. I can't imagine my seasons like this. We wear shorts until October. Color comes at the end of October and then it is like a mad rush through. I would love to have my autumn really begin in September. Your kitchen stocked with all your canned goods is amazing! I'm so wistful after your post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect time of year in your neck of the woods. Savor and enjoy! Truly lovely photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! Yes, I love hiking in the fall. No bugs, the temps are perfect and the scenery is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was simply a beautiful soliloquy about all the wonderful things fall brings us. I so enjoyed it, Amanda! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your autumn leaves are gorgeous! Such beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. You said it so well about this season. What were your sons holding by the legs? Turkeys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are ruffed grouse. They are abundant here in our woods, we eat them in place of chicken. :)

      Delete
  9. I always love your fall photos (my favorite season), but what I really loved was the pic of your kitchen with open shelving. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adooooore these photos! They are so amazing. And I must confess, I am totally obsessed with your kitchen. It is so gorgeous! It's basically my dream kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, gorgeous photos! What an amazing space you have with all that must inspire you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to have found your blog. Your photos are gorgeous. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm dwelling in your beautiful photos, Amanda! The beautiful, warm shades of orange in the leaves, your handcraft / knitting, and the red apples on your kitchen table ... Lovely! Enjoy this season - and the chores and moments of action goes with sisu - yet some oasis-moment with no action but a full precence and attention to the magic around you is also needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful (in both words and pictures) tribute to Fall. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great celebration of autumn - so many posts seem to say little more than 'I'm sad summer is over" as if there is nothing else in a year to enjoy but sunshine!

    My long shutter speed technique is to kneel down to have look what the picture looks like, but take the image with the camera just supported on its neck step with me stoop up. I hold my breath and hope! Seems it works!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well said Amanda. We love this season as well here in Minnesota's banana belt. Still the call of the North Woods has a special appeal.....:) I missed my annual fall fishing trip to Mantrap this year but the Black Hills were especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You live in a beautiful part of Minnesota and have so many more rich colors than we do in the SW part of the state. I am loving all of your fall photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really captured Fall beautifully... so cozy and warm and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a perfect fall post. I was smiling the whole way through. I LOVE your photos..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful colours in an even more wonderful landscape.The apples on the table and images of the kitchen....a blessed and rich life!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pictures....especially like the one of the boys learning to be men:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Autumnal images take my breath away..... Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many wonderful pictures in this post.

    I miss the autumn colors, but not the gray of the trees left behind when they fall.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delightful Fall post and excellent and creative photos ~ carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the colors and smell of fall but it's going to be hard to put the sandals away. I haven't done it yet and figure I can hokd out another week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Beautiful...so unlike southern California..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos - so peaceful. I'm in Wisconsin so I "get it". I love fall!

    ReplyDelete