September 6, 2013

Random Five : How did it get so late so soon?

I've been mostly away from the computer since the busy holiday weekend, and here we are - almost a full week into September already.  In my mind I hear Dr. Seuss.. "How did it get so late so soon? It's night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn.."
It's been a good week to focus on everything going on..
Here's my Random Five for the week to get me back into the swing of things:

1.  All five kids are back in school.  Mason & Eric began 10th grade Tuesday.  We had short conferences to meet the three younger kids' elementary teachers that day.  Weds. they all boarded the school bus, the two 10th graders, Johnathan a 5th grader, Lilly a 4th grader, and Beau a 1st grader.  

2.  I got a new camera.  My old one saw me through several tens of thousands of shutter clicks, but has been languishing for several months now.
I've been putting off the replacement for quite a while.  Feels good to have that done!
When I took it out of the box & set it up, the first thing in my sight to test fire on was our refrigerator.  (How's that for random.) 

3.  Beau (six) made a special envelope & put his tooth fairy money in it to give to Gramps for his birthday.  (The highest payoff for a tooth ever in our house - FIVE dollars!  If you'd seen the level of elation that evening, you'd think it was probably a million dollar tooth.)  I told Beau he didn't have to give away his money, and he said, "But I love Gramps."  It made him very happy to give it to him.  Of course, Gramps wants to give it back, and I told him he'll have to be sneaky about it.. have him do a chore or job & feel like he earned it. ☺

4.  One of our hens layed their first egg!   She apparently layed it from high up, and it rolled or fell onto the sawdust covered floor of the coop & broke.  But it was an egg! 
I snapped this photo while they were roosting in the coop this evening, and they all had an "It wasn't me." kind of air about them.   

Question:  Why isn't beautiful dark Bandita growing a comb?  

5.  It's been a week of recovery - Mason's knee is doing well.  Eric was hurting pretty good after an awesome performance last week, and is all mended up, too. We're ready for Friday night football!
(While they recovered, they managed to help put the roof on the addition.. they're tough like that & The Project is moving along well!)    

Happy Friday! 

27 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new camera! And having all your kids back in school. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad, Amanda, that you got a new camera. I wonder what you got. Mine new one is another Sony but it is all plastic and not nearly so sturdy as the old ones were. Pictures are pretty good though.

    Too bad the kids were hurt. Sports is hard on children.

    I doubt that you will eat those bantee eggs. They are so small.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good news there! I love how the tooth fairy money became a gift, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Beau and Gramps story is too cute~I don't even know what a Bandita is ;-) but the 4 are all gorgeous. Congrats on the THE PROJECT constantly moving along-must be exciting and 5 children in school arrangements no wonder you've no computer time, and new camera perfect-!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, the little dark / black poult we named Bandita. :) They are all the same age, she was a little bigger even than the gray one, Chiquita.. but she appears to be developing no red crop on her head. This is our first time raising poults, so I'm curious if that's normal!

      Delete
  5. What camera did u end up getting? Have great weekend. Glad everyone got off the school. Growing up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new camera is doing a great job! I love your pictures and your random five. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos look great. How exciting to get a new camera.. Sounds like you had a pretty good week.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for your kids - all of them. love your refrigerator art. made me smile. hope your hens get with the program soon. :) congrats on the new cam, and the tooth fairy money made my heart swell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new camera. I know you'll get many great pictures with it. Your refrigerator reminds me of ours when our children were little. That's a wonderful story about Beau and his tooth fairy money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your chicken photo! And congrats on your new camera. Can't wait to see what fun things you capture with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for a new camera! And for eggs! So exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new camera--sounds exciting! I don't know how I feel about $5 a tooth(ouch!), but what a sweet story with his gramps! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! That's alot of stuff. Good luck with your camera -- whatcha get? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh those chickens are cute! love that shot! my twins started 6th grade this year. the first time in their school careers to be seperated, they do however have gym and lunch together. they are really doing well. it will be fun to see the new friends they make! good luck at tonight's game!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda,

    I am ready to get back to blogging after my break. I am hoping to get picts edited and a post up on Tuesday.

    Since I have been home the Hubby has kept me busy helping him outside and I got the house cleaned. It's easier to concentrate with a clean house!

    New camera and a pullet egg ... super fun! I got 10 new 1 year old hens from a neighbor gal. They are golden or red colored and doing well with adjusting to our ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so fun photographing chickens, they always have such great expressions as they look you up and down :). I love the Dr. Seuss quote, so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The sweetest Beau - such a big heart he has! I agree that it might be wise to be very subtle in giving him back the Money... he has given it as a gift, and would be sad knowing it's returned to him - I'm surely touched! Happy to hear that your big boys are doing well with the sports again (recovering from the last enjuries), and that your project is going forward - And, congratulations on your new camera!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new camera! So sweet of your son to think of giving away his tooth fairy money to his grandpa. Adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ah, back to school and football. How well they go together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good news on the injury front. That cluttered refrigerator door brought back some happy memories of when our boys were in elementary...:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there - back to school? Do I hear a sigh of relief?

    Given that I tend to unpack any gadgets I buy sat at my desk, I think the first thing I photographed was my computer monitor!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have such a beautiful and loving family, Amanda. Hope this week is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is good to know that refrigerators look the same all over the world!Happy memories.Great that the knee injury is getting better.And I love the chicken...they really look funny. What an exciting week you had...an egg and a new camera! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amanda,
    I love reading your Random 5-your storytelling is amazing and this week's story about Beau and Gramps-is a lump in your throat story-what a sweetheart your little guy is!
    Have a super week-
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  25. The hens are so beautiful! My buff hens so much like yours!

    ReplyDelete