September 12, 2013

School Picture Day (Lilly 4th Grade)

Subtle changes of fall are all around us & our nice warm days are numbered.  We are overwhelmed with busy, but I don't want to let the beauty of right now pass us by without enjoying it.  So while Dad & the older boys were at football practice this evening, I took the youngsters out beyond our backyard to explore.
Today was also school picture day for our kids.  Which means Mom had plans to force the camera on them for a little while after they got home.  This is usually seen as some dreaded, awful thing by the majority of kids involved, which makes it sometimes frustrating & disappointing to me.  I just want some nice pictures of my kids once a year. 
We started off with grumbles, but once we hit wooded paths & wide open spaces, the picture-scrooges actually found themselves having fun, can you believe it?

I loaded them to my computer tonight.
Oh, my goodness.
Our Lilly is growing to be more of a little lady all the time.

Nine years old now and in 4th grade. 
People who see Lilly on her own think she's so tall.  But Lilly, in a group of her peers, is very much on the half pint side of things. 
She's a fast runner & good at football. 
She read Little House books over the summer. 
She aced her first spelling pretest Monday morning without studying the words. 
She carries a heavy stack of books home each day now, but has her homework done on the bus before she gets here.
Once home, she checks on her chickens (I let them out each day, and she checks to see that they're all safe first thing!) 
She draws & build legos & rides bike & catches toads.  
She eats raw tomatoes like they're going out of style. 
She's currently missing a couple of teeth, I wonder if that's why she isn't showing them?
She would NOT wear these shiny dress shoes to school today.  Purple tennies all the way.

4th grade was a big year for me.  I started at a new school and made new friends.  I had an amazing teacher, one of the best on the planet.  She inspired in me a lifelong love of books and writing. 
I hope 4th grade is wonderful for Lilly. 
Learn & grow!

Sharing with Little Things Thursday

21 comments:

  1. what wonderful photos of Lilly and I like how you've taken them in the wild-bravo for the spelling test, I cannot resist saying Lilly is gorgeous, oh those eyes! 4th was a magical year for me-

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds alot like me when I was her age -- very much the tomboy -- only I certainly wasn't as pretty. Lovely shots of your Lilly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that pop of blue. She is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is just a beautiful girl outside but it sounds like she is inside too! Great shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely girl she is! I adore her polka dot dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite item when I hit the ultimate rummage sale jackpot for Lilly a few weeks ago, Dion!

      Delete
    2. That is a most excellent find:)

      Delete
  6. She is a gorgeous child and these images are simply beautiful. She also sounds like an amazing kid. My daughter would find a buddy in her with the same interests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is definitely growing up. And what a beauty she is already, Amanda. Wow! Thank you for sharing her with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You took some wonderful pictures of your daughter! She seems to be confident and happy in her skin.I hope she will have a great year and will read many more books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilly is beautiful...I mean really outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This girl is going to draw boys like molasses draws flies! (poor metaphor, but you get the idea. She's beautiful!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has the most beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your daughter is beautiful! I just love the last photo of her. Yes, our kids grow up way to fast, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pictures are simply marvelous. Lily is a very lovely young lady. I hope she has a wonderful fourth grade year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are simply gorgeous! Wow, I am very impressed. Your Lilly is growing into such a beautiful young lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Daughter is so beautiful. I just love these photos you took of her. She sounds like she has the sweetest soul..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful girl and those blue eyes are gorgeous! She is looking so grown up for 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written and photographed. Lilly is naturally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The green from the grass and her dress creates a beautiful contrast in her lovely, blind hair and those blue eyes ~ her presence in the photo is so natural and yet powerful! Reading and enjoying nature and her chicken, what could be more fun & interesting for a 4th grader!

    ReplyDelete