October 7, 2013

Abandoned Rural Treasures : Inspiration

I love that Abandoned Rural Treasures form the acronym ART. 
I've been gazing at some photos from time spent wandering dirt roads & exploring forgotten places on the North Dakota prairie a couple of summers ago.   
I find so much color inspiration in this photo I took peeking in an old farm shed - still standing, but at a dramatic lean & sway-  filled with treasures.   

This building was on the farm we stayed, we know the owners of these treasures.  They assured me some day they'll clean it out.   I'm hoping the strong winds & heavy snow haven't beat them to the chance. 
Unlike this old prairie gem, we found the following house crumbling without doors & windows, lost in an overgrown grove of shrubs & trees.  We were hesitant to step inside these structures, unsure of the stability of their floors, with water-filled basements below.  Again, I'm inspired by the color, Jadite green & peeling white paint over gray wood.   I long to go back to rescue that door.

We found an abandoned church in an open rolling field.  The door was unlocked, so we went inside.  This was the small back porch..  what I wouldn't do to salvage some of that bead board or the beautiful embossed tin tiles that lined the sanctuary.  Even just these hooks.  Looking back, I'm surprised I left the hanger.  The raccoons had helped themselves to making a mess of the whole building.

Do you peek inside old left behind places?
They are some of my favorite places of all, they thrill me more than thrift stores, and I love them much more than antique shops.   
I left everything in these places as they were, but did manage to rescue a small treasure or two from the fates of falling down buildings elsewhere on this trip.  ☺

Sharing with Tuesday Muse  

23 comments:

  1. Ah - what lovely photos of these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos...hard to pick a favorite here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There aren't too many places like this in the burbs. Oh to find places like these! Lovely and rustic. That is a new use for a Ball jar in the first image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are very evocative of falling down structures. Very pretty in their own way. Thanks for sharing them with me, Amanda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a shame that these old treasures haven't been rescued. I love your acronym ART. These are places that I love to explore too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE exploring old abandoned buildings. Looks like you hit the jackpot. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat! We spent some time last week traveling to Devils Lake N.D. by train and the sightseeing the rural countryside north and east into potato and sugarbeet country. Now is I could only get more posts caught up to all the pictures....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, we could have some fun together, Amanda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would definitely borrow some ideas from these calming palettes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like old abandoned buildings too. There are some around here, but parking is difficult at best to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful find. I just love the history one can sense when exploring abandoned sites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would observe from outside, while hubby would have to go inside to sneak a peek. Love your photos! Your newest follower....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos! The beadboard looks exactly like what's on our bedroom walls. Our home was built in '41 but we discovered touches of the late 30s as we took out newer wall coverings and flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shots are so artistic and as you say, wonderful colour palettes. I don't get out enough to explore old places but if I did I'd be concerned about trespassing and snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are poignant, especially that one lonely hanger left on the wall. Yes, I love old buildings and old things. You have to imagine them filled with life years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when I was young my parents would love to take peeks into old abandoned buildings, I always remember being scared that someone would catch us. But as an adult I love to explore and do the same.. I always wonder about the history in old abandoned buildings. Great photos my friend, and a great post.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this kind of old barns and houses, things people left behind to move somewhere else .I like to invent stories and imagine the life which went on when people were still around.These are beautiful pictures with a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love these photos! You've inspired me to take a closer look at abandoned rural treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos. I love the one of the red shed. It's so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Intriguing, intrepid explorer you are indeed. We took the train up to N.D. recently on a similar outing. I'll get some pics up soon. Actually I'm way behind but working on it....:)

    ReplyDelete