November 22, 2013

Sixteen x 2 (A Big Milestone)

Mason & Eric, our firstborns, turned sixteen years old last Friday.
Our nearest driver's exam station isn't open on Fridays, so they had to wait to do their driving test on Monday.  I was nervous as they waited for the examiner and then drove out of the parking lot with him.  But they did just fine. We have two new licensed drivers in the family! 
I treated them to Dairy Queen after we finished at the licensing office, before they dropped me off at home & continued on their way (alone) to basketball practice.
They are currently participating in "No-Shave" November and I have to admit, that I think they look a little ridiculous.  I thought Mason, particularly, who's going full no-shave, would want to clean up for his driver's license photo.  He usually keeps pretty clean.  Mitch told me that if I was a 15-16 year old boy who could grow a beard, I would too.  Eric's is a partial no-shave, he leaves a particular beard pattern (as seen above back in Sept.) and has been grooming it.
So anyway, they were photographed for their driver's license looking older than their years with scruffy beards.  But the signatures below their photos looks just the same as when they wrote their names in second grade.  
So far I'm feeling ok about them behind the wheel on their own (no ice & snow on the roads yet, though!)  It's a huge help that they can drive themselves home after basketball practice in the evenings.  I'll be making much fewer trips back & forth at odd hours. 

Looking back, I wrote this post at the time of their 14th birthday, touching on the dynamic of Mason & Eric as twins.
And five years ago, I reflected back over the November 15th we had celebrated up to that point, from the day they were born, to boyhood birthdays.  Some years we've had heavy snow.  Some years we've been in short sleeves.
Not much has changed in the way they chose to celebrate their birthday - they stayed home & had pizza, brownies & ice cream.  Although, this year the friends that came over were girls.

As current sixteen year olds with beards & drivers licenses, they're both on the Honor Roll at the close of their first quarter as Sophomores.  They both got a pair of Wellington work boots for their birthday, which they've wanted for quite some time.  And they play their first basketball game of the season this Friday night. 

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite some milestone! They sound so grown up. Our twins will turn 16 next week. In our state you can't even have a learner's permit until you turn 16 and have to have at least 120 hours supervised driving and be at least 17 before you can apply for a driving test.

    Our 18 year old now has his licence (not our 21 year old though - by choice) and it makes such a difference to my driving requirements - so good to have an extra driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my first solo drive - rather nervous to say the least, also rather strange not to have have anybody in the passenger seat. My kids have a few years to go yet!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first solo drive(s) -- I remember my heart pounding... I do wish them a very Happy Birthday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what wonderful brother photos-congratulations to Mason and Eric, I can remember a million years ago how super I felt when I passed my drivers licence, and I can also remember my parents were not quite as thrilled, but they still leant me their car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are growing up so fast, Amanda. They look like grownups, but at sixteen they are just beginning that journey. I remember getting my own first license at sixteen, it was such a milestone! Happy birthdays to these fine young men! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My how time flies. I am sure they cannot wait to get behind the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH good boys! you're right - any 16 yr old that can grow a beard would. :) i'm kind of surprised the school allows it, though. back in my day... (yup, that sounded old...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on having sixteen year old drivers! Your boys are so handsome. Good job, proud mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Belated Happy Birthday to Eric and Mason! Getting the driver's license is a very big step for any 16 year old boy. It's wonderful that they are as good academically as they are athletically.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday to your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Mason and Eric! Time flies ... lovely pictures of the boys! I bet it must be a bit strange seeing them with a beard at movember - but as your husband says, that's just as it's supposed to be when 16 :-) Enjoy their independence - driving home from training!
    Happy weekend to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twins (and other multiples) have such special relationships. My Mom was a triplet, we had twin boys and one of our twins had twins. Many good wishes coming to your boys - they are becoming young men!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your fine young men! My son participated in No Shave November last year and decided to pass this year! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a special milestone indeed for them and you too. I'll refrain from passing any gratuitous advice though with two son of my own.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww how sweet! 16 is a big birthday and sounds like they celebrated it well. Happy birthday!

    PS - When I saw their baby photo, it reminded me of Lilly! All your kids are adorable and I think they look a lot alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your twins.. I am married to a twin. Him and his brother are identical twins. And they still look so much alike it is scary sometimes. Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete