January 3, 2014

{2014} Fresh year : Five Facts


(A macro attempt at mountains of snowflakes outside our backdoor.)

Blanco.   Blank.   Unmarked.   Fresh.   New. 
It's Day 3 of a New Year, and those are the words that have been on my mind.
A fresh start.   A blank page.   A new chapter. 
Many people have declared resolutions.  While I'm still fine-tuning my own hopes & goals, a few things have already left their mark on 2014 for me.  
Here's a bit of what's happening on my blank slate: 

1.  I read The Book Thief.  Finished it yesterday.  It was possibly the most beautifully & powerfully written book I've read.   

2.  Working with Johnathan on his Native American project, Becoming an Expert on the Seminoles, I learned things I didn't know before about these interesting, unconquered people.  Last night we put the finishing touches on his "Chickee."  We don't have any palm fronds or anything similar this time of year, so I sacrificed a small basket from my laundry room cupboard to thatch the roof with. 

3.  The governor of Minnesota has ordered all public schools to be closed Monday due to the dangerous cold (which our kids have already been enduring every morning up here in our part of the state.)  We're experiencing a colder winter than I ever remember. 

4.  I had a revelation about my marriage.   I'll try to explain later.

5.  We received so many thoughtful gifts for Christmas, without feeling like it was excessive.  We're enjoying them.  My mom found a pizza/bread peel for me.  I'm enjoying the luxury of fancy new shampoo & conditioner & lotion.  We got books.  Locally produced food goods.  Hand sewn, crocheted, & homemade items.  Two jars of liquid gold in the form of maple syrup, tapped from trees a few miles away.  We got socks!  New socks are always good.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sharing with Random 5 Friday

29 comments:

  1. liquid gold. :D
    love that you sacrificed a basket for your son's project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like receiving homemade gifts. And I love new socks! Your snowflake photo is amazing! Wish we'd get some of those on our mountains. Our weather remains stubbornly dry...... Keep those cute kiddos of yours warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please explain #4 soon. please. i have only been married 9 yrs so far & i feel i learn something daily. we both keep changing & are so different from when we 1st started dating. ( :

    you stay warm. i am glad to hear that the school are closed with the weather being so wild. thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Beth! I agree, we learn daily - and that's a good thing!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty photo. Thanks for the tip on the book. I am going to have to read it.. Sound like you had a great Christmas.

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks for Christmas are a staple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing snowflake photo! Homemade gifts are the best, especially male syrup! I enjoyed The Book Thief; my parents recently saw the movie and said it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like perfect gifts. Stay warm! We've been called off for Monday too and a big wind has just begun, hunker down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh - I love the snow crystal photo. You're a good mom to want that roof to be authentic! I put The Book Thief on my Kindle samples list (at first I typed "Boob" - glad I saw the mistake!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Book Thief when I read it, too. I just finished a wonderful book, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane." I love getting new socks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photo. I need to go order The Book Thief from my library right now...this is the 3rd or 4th mention I've heard this week.

    Stay warm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful warm post, despite the weather. Hope you are all keeping warm inside - you did finish enough of the extension to be weather tight??? Looking forward to hearing more of #4 in time.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meant to say I love your photo - wonders we never have in our corner of the world - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. Beautiful shot of the snowflakes. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure if My comment showed up or not... Lovely shot! And wishing you a year full of good things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the snowflakes. I've never been able to get a closeup of a snowflake. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. I'm going to have to check into the Book Thief. One of my goals this year is to do more reading. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those snowflakes are breathtakingly beautiful Amanda. We are still waiting here in South Europe for the first snowfall :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  17. your macro shot is superb-maple syrup direct from a tree yum. I will investigate the Seminoles I've never heard of them. Lovely 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should share his report and take a photo of the basket-thatched dwelling when he brings it back from school!

      Delete
  18. So, now I'm intrigued by this book. It has been popping in up in various conversations. I ordered it and can't wait to read it. Homemade gifts are the best, we just recently received a huge jar of local honey! It is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your snow photo… beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband is reading the Book Thief right now too. My daughter is minoring in Native American studies at college, she finds it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your macro of the snow!!! I hope some of the snow would fall over here - The winter is very mild this year. I've reserved some of the books you recommended and the'te arriving soon ... I'll write the Book Thief on my list as well :) And I'm looking forward to your post on marriage! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a very revealing time for you! I don't see much snow here in New Zealand but I do like your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful snow crystal ! Hope you are warm and cosy! We experience a very warm and wet winter in Switzerland at the moment.Snow is good in the mountains bit not around here. Will cross the ocean tomorrow for New York - seems to bitterly cold." The book thief " is one of the favorite books of my children and me…wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photo of the snowflakes is just stunning. I think homemade and nature made gifts are the best. Stay warm -- enjoy your kids. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard The Book Thief is good. I'll have to check it out sometime! I hope you guys are doing ok in the bitterly cold weather. This has been one crazy winter. Are the chickens faring ok? It's hovering between 0 and 3 degrees here today so the chickens are locked up in their coop. It's really windy too so it's just miserable! But I'm sure you know how that is!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the description of your Christmas... mine left me feeling a bit empty. Definitely going for simple and meaningful next year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous shot of the snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete