January 18, 2014
Mid-Winter : Five Facts. Good Vibes.
1. As January moves along, I've been reaching clarity in what my top goals for this new year are.
One that is making itself prominent, front & center, is "Be with those who bring out the best in you. Not the stress in you." Good Vibes Only. I've realized more & more the importance of this to my being over the past couple of years & the first few weeks of 2014 have been a solid reminder. I resolve to keep my shield up against bad vibes, commit my time to meaningful friendships, interactions, intention.
Let the sun shine in!
2. After having not so much as a cold in the house all Fall or Winter, we've had three boys down with flu symptoms this past week. Mason & Johnathan were totally knocked out with the fever. At six years old, Beau seemed to handle it better. But in the saddest voice he said things like, "Mom, I feel like I'm floating upside down." And, "Mom, I feel like the house is rocking back & forth." Poor kid!
With lots of rest & replenishment, they're bouncing back to their strong selves. Eric & Lilly have so far managed to come through unscathed.
3. Somewhat spontaneously, I got a new vacuum cleaner this week. It's a Shark. I'm pretty in the dark when it comes to product advertising (no television).. so I'd never heard of them, but I hope it's good & lasts a very long time. I've never owned a great vacuum cleaner before. With five dirt road dwelling kids, a husband who by nature is covered in sawdust at all times, and a dog who sheds more than I ever dreamed possible, a new vacuum is rather thrilling.
4. Our Friday nights & many other nights of the week continue to be spent in high school gymnasiums watching our oldest boys play basketball. Run, run, run. Their schedule is hectic this month!
5. It's that time of year.. Mid-winter (optimistically), roughly 12 weeks into the season of frost to deep freeze for us. I've been starting to feel twinges of wanderlust this week. A short break to someplace where we can let our feet roam free is a dreamy thought!
PS: I did finally get around to explaining the revelation I had about my marriage, mentioned in my last participation in Random 5. You can see it HERE.
Sharing with Random 5 Friday