January 23, 2014

Rural Hoops : Mason & Eric's sophomore basketball season

Since late November, we've been busy watching Mason & Eric's sophomore year of basketball.
Our kids attend a very small K-12 school.  I don't know of any public schools smaller than ours in all of our (northern/central/arrowhead) half of the state.  For the record, I checked & there is one, with 10 students less in it's high school enrollment, but for unknown reasons we don't play them.  (I'm not familiar with towns on the extreme western border of the state.. I expect there are some small ones out there.)
So, we are a rural little underdog team, made of a few kids with big hearts, often playing schools up to three times our size. 
We've had some great games so far this year.  And we've had some rough ones.  
No matter what, I love being there to yell & cheer for these guys. 
I am a crazy sports mom.  And gosh, it's fun.
(Eric, above & below)



Our 2013-2014 basketball program:  

Our two guys, Eric #30 and Mason #5:


Mason, below.



13 comments:

  1. yay for small schools with big hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! I bet it is fun to cheer on your kids as they play sports. My husband teaches music at a very small rural school and no other schools his size put on fancy field shows for marching band like he does, so they end up competing against the bigger schools. It can be tough, but they do a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your boys and the school for giving their all even if it is against a much bigger school. I have been attending some girls basketball games here in town. My friend's granddaughter plays and I know how fun it is to cheer them on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great shots of two fine young men! Thank you for sharing them with me, and giving me a chance to join in the fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a school that small I imagine your two boys play all the sports they'd like to go out for. Good for you giving them some press and highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great action shots, Amanda. It must be nerve-wracking to have both the boys in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small schools are some of the best educators!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice action shots! Great job to both your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd make a great sports photographer (and writer). It's wonderful that Eric and Mason can contribute so their school in so many sports. It's also wonderful that the school has such loyal fans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are learning some valuable life lessons through this... no matter how small the school~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots ! Must be great to watch the kids playing and great that you are very actively cheering them !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Small school sounds fine to me - it is not the size, but the persons, the intentions, the relations, that matters. Absolutely great shots, Amanda! The feeling of intensity is present in each of them, and I do love the group photo where the team is line up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh this is so good to see. Your boy's in a small school. Ours here in Big Piney Wyoming is just a tiny school also. I love going to the kid's games. We are a AA school and sometimes play AAA. I loved the pictures of your boys and I just know the 'heart' with which they play. Our little town boasts of 740 people. And we love our kids!

    ReplyDelete