February 5, 2014

Dog Years

Our dog, McGee, turned six years old over the weekend.  (In people years.)
The story of how he came to be part of our family can be seen HERE.

McGee is bravely keeps coyotes at bay.  
He has saved me from being sprayed by a skunk or two, I'm certain of it.
A few summers ago, he even sniffed out a trespasser / potential thief hiding on our property, on the run from authorities.  It was the 4th of July, and I had decided to go for a quick late evening walk just before we were planning to leave to watch fireworks at dusk.  It was one of the most absurd experiences of my life (we don't have many pedestrians in our parts) and had it not been for McGee, the guy hiding in the woods within watching distance of our house would have watched us leaving, and who knows what all he might have done then.
But, thanks to McGee he was found and handed over to authorities who were searching for him.  (An officer came by late that night to thank him.. said he deserved a steak.)

Most of all, though -  he's just a great family dog.
Patient & trustworthy, he holds down the fort for us as we come & go. 
He loves to have his kids around & loves going for walks. 
We couldn't ask for a better Super Mutt.  

13 comments:

  1. McGee sounds like a wonderful friend and a special being. Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a BEAUTIFUL dog! and SUCH a good protector!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday McGee, he's such a wonderful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very special member of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful tribute to a super dog. I love this story, Amanda. I'll be up before dawn tomorrow to travel to Texas for my sister's funeral, but I'll be with family, so all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs are the best - especially the mutts! My dog Bear has been my loyal hiking companion up until this past summer. He just turned 12 and sadly I think his hiking days are over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. McGee sounds like a very special member of the family. I hope he did get that steak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to McGee! I read his story and can see why you picked that cute little face! Loved seeing him and the kids growing up together. What a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. McGee is a very handsome fellow and clever too, interesting potential thief story..;bravo McGee !

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry I should have read the McGee story first before commenting before, what beautiful post and photos and he was a super cutie...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a handsome fella he is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet post. Your dog is quite handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is so handsome! And sounds like such an amazing family dog. I can't believe the story of the man hiding in the woods! Yikes! Thank goodness for McGee. I love how our Duchess barks any time a car drives by or anyone strange comes onto our property. Makes me feel more safe!

    ReplyDelete