February 7, 2014
Snowshoes, Chai, Construction [Random 5 Friday]
1. Mitch & I got out snowshoeing in the woods last weekend. We had a high of 9° above zero, a "warm up," so we seized the opportunity. The snow wasn't ideal, so soft & powdery, the kind that spills over the tops of your snowshoe with each step. But it felt good.
2. We didn't watch the Super Bowl. I love football, but I find television & commercials tasteless unpleasant. After not having television for many years now, I've become resensitized to what's on it.
Desensitization: The diminished emotional responsiveness to a negative or aversive stimulus after repeated exposure to it. ← That's not me. TV makes me feel extremely qualmish.
I was happily home reading a book on Super Bowl Sunday evening.
3. I had my first ever cup of chai this week, thanks to a thoughtful friend. As far as warm beverages go- I've never been a coffee drinker. Hot cocoa is alright, & I like cappuccino. But I love chai latte! It's like light, sweet calmness in a cup. (Thanks, Alaina!) I stocked up on more.
4. This evening Mason & Eric had a basketball game that went into double overtime, and we had to miss it. They were playing about 100 miles away from home. Too long & late a drive for us to manage on a school night with younger kids in our family. It's almost midnight & they're still not home. Too late for them on a school night, too. They'll have less than 8 hours at home to eat a meal, shower, do homework, sleep, and return to school. (The Mayo Clinic says teens need about nine or more hours of sleep a night.) As a mom, the scheduling concerns me. I think they should schedule games that are more than an hour away only on Fridays. For the sake of health, academics, and with the bonus that more fans could be present to support them!
5. We've been hitting the finish stretch on The Home Project at last. After a much busier than planned winter to date, Mitch had a few days at home over the past couple of weeks. We've been making messes and progress. We opened up the final connection between the old & new, and sheet rocked the upper level. Today we're covered in white dust as we sanded & cleaned up the last coat of mud. Tomorrow I begin priming & painting our new space!
It looks much, much different than it did here:
Sharing with Random 5 Friday