“Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will);
being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).”
– James Baraz
Spring isn't showing much in our part of the world. (Think: still frozen, crunchy, deep snow covered & cold.) I've spent many long, quiet hours painting & staining this week, with plenty of time for the wheels in my head to go round & round, which lead me to these five things I'm thankful for right now:
1. Kids who do their best. From school work, & activities requiring extra dedication & work ethic, to just the way they carry themselves daily. Their positive efforts deserve credit where credit is due.
The 3rd quarter school term ended last week & I just checked high school grades online - both of our high schoolers made the 'A' honor roll. They have their heftiest study load yet, and this term covered the second half of a grueling basketball schedule. They've managed responsibilities well.
2. Beau brought home his 1st grade report card this afternoon loaded with wonderful teacher comments. I have to share a few:
Writing skills: "I
enjoy Beau's writing! He often adds humor to his stories which I
appreciate and the class also enjoys! He is doing a good job working to
apply writing skills for complete sentences and adding details to his
Classroom Conduct: "Super independent work skills! Beau is always on task, listening and doing his best!"
Social Skills: "Beau gets along well with his classmates and is well liked by everybody. ☺"
I'm thankful for teachers & mentors who support our kids as they learn & grow - and who appreciate humor. (I'll have to share some of Beau's writing soon - he's hilarious!)
3. I'm thankful for Mitch - for sharing life with me.
And for sharing home improvement projects with me.
We've been working together this week, and though we may have fleeting moments of exasperation & momentary doubt - we make a good team.
4. I'm thankful to have made it through 5 months or so of cold & flu season and one of coldest & most cooped up winters I remember - with not even a single scratchy throat!
5. I'm thankful for friends & family who understand the value of Time as it applies to family life. This is a very busy season in our family's life, as well as in others' we know.
That understanding is so appreciated, and makes a bit of thought or connecting here or there all the more appreciated, too.
Sharing with Random 5 Friday