March 14, 2014
Pi Day Friday [random five]
I don't know if you can make it out in the photo above - there has been a steady flow of water running off our roofs by day. Still freezing at night, which is helpful to slow down the melting.
My Random 5 this week:
1. I had to buy store-bought potatoes for the first time in ages. We made it all fall & winter on last years' homegrown harvest. And our family of seven eats a LOT of meat & potatoes during the dark, cold, indoor months. We're down to our last few.. Maybe this year we'll grow enough to last harvest to harvest.
Potato digging pictures from five years ago:
2. I finally decided to dismantle and paint our living room. (I bought the paint 2 years ago.)
No small undertaking.. it's a fair sized room with a rather "well-collected" vibe going on. We have an absurd amount of antlers & horns in our living room. And books. They're everywhere. Even more so now that I turned the living room inside out.
3. I also tuned my guitar. I hadn't picked it up in ages, but had to move it when I tackled the living room task above. (I get sidetracked sometimes.. I played it for a little while.)
4. Our neighbor Marianne, who's 95th birthday is coming up, stopped over with her trio of engineers (both of her sons & son-in-law) who were all home for their annual March visit.
Our good friend Gordy gave a physics lesson, showing the kids how to make an electric motor using a battery, a wire, a magnet, and a screw. Johnathan & Lilly both took it to school to share this week.
5. Temps were in the 20's yesterday so, naturally, Lilly & Beau put shorts on after school to ride bikes round & round the little area of concrete that was free of crunchy ice & snow.
Spring fever seems to have arrived.
We still have a touch of negative temps in the forecast, but today we hit 50! The snow is steadily melting & sinking.. and mud is making an appearance.
Spring thaw in northern MN can be a very ugly mess.
It's a nice time to get away. At this time last year we were heading to the Texas Hill Country.
Wishing all math maniacs a smashing Pi Day π
and Happy Weekend to the rest of us!