April 14, 2014

Mindful Miscellany

This past week I hit a bit of the blues for a day or two.  I think it was a result of being overwhelmed as a mom, for no particular reason other than occasionally it's overwhelming caring for & worrying about five growing & very-important-to-me people.  
I'm feeling better now. 

We slept in our new room for the first time last night.  I love it.

I haven't been reading as much as I was back in the dark ages of winter, but I just finished Maisie Dobbs #9 and really liked it.  I'm eager to start The Happiness Project next.

The grammatical error that befuddles me the most is when I read the words "could of." 
Could've is a contraction of the words could have.   Could "of" makes no sense to me at all.
Good to get that off my chest.

I find satisfaction in a good design challenge.  I recently got to contribute in designing the layout for a kitchen remodel Mitch is being contracted to do. 
The other day I designed business cards for him, too.  I'm excited to see how they turn out.

Our neighbor Marianne turned 95 this weekend.  She called to let us know her visiting family had gone back home to the city, wondering if we'd like to come over for an evening visit.  She shared candy & was looking festive in a pretty necklace & her hair recently done.   She'd been out on the town earlier in the day with her sister, who turned 100 last summer.   
I've said it time & time again:  Amazing ladies.

Speaking of amazing people..  I've become acquainted with so many interesting people around our world through blogging, people I've grown fond of.  This week some big things were shared.
One set a new world record for the number of women skydivers over sixty in a formation.  I'm so happy for DJan (who happens to be over seventy & has decided this will likely be her last season of playing in the sky.)
Another made a grueling climb to the top of Mt. St. Helens on skis & shared about it.  Linda rocks.  What an inspiration.  You can read about her adventurous feat here.
And yet another decided to leave her blog behind.  I respect a person doing what they feel is right for them. 

I finally did it.   I ordered a smart phone.  It will be here tomorrow.
Paradoxical that a plan with data will cost less than our old plan without, when I was mainly holding out because I couldn't justify the cost.

And I finally did this, too.  I tried out a water color effect.   
This barn in North Dakota was one of many wonderful, simple things I photographed there.

That's all for now.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, Amanda. I am glad to know your visit with the blues is over, and that your new room is now inhabited! Sending you big cyber hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning! It is nice to have your thoughts lead me into this day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your water color of the barn -- very pretty. I'm sure both the business cards and kitchen design are going to turn out just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy a visit from you . . .
    The could of brought a huge smile . . .
    Misuse of seen and saw makes my skin crawl!
    Sky diving into the "over the mountain" years brings inspiration . . .
    I would love to meet your living life to the fullest, "sister team!"
    Enjoy the new Smart Phine . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO NOT like it went I can't correct when commenting from my iPad.
    So here you go . . .
    Smart Phone

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your neighbor, marianne. :) hooray for moving into your new bedroom! could of made me chuckle. not sure i've ever come across that - and hope i've never typed it. :) happy smart-phoning it! i don't text or call a lot, but i rely on it for emails a ton and for camera availability. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to chuckle too, because small things like grammatical errors really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. :) It's just that I see that one so often - I can't even pin point where, but I had just come across it again while reading what I would consider a professional article.
      I'm looking forward to having a mobile camera the most!

      Delete
  7. Five kids - a lot to worry about. Glad you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that watercolor app. Your barn photo looks great converted to watercolors. That's cool you get to help your hubby with designs. I admire creative people, because I'm anything but (it's the engineer in me!) And, aw shucks, thanks for the shout-out.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fun to get to know so many amazing people all over the world. Thats what I love about blogging as well. Your neighbor does seem pretty amazing. I hope I am the same way at that age. Have fun with your new smart phone, They can be addictive. Love what you did with your photo here... So pretty.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a creative young lady ---who does a fantastic job balancing all of the many hats you wear in your life....

    But--I can understand how life can get overwhelming at times. I remember raising my sons (as a single parent) while working full-time to make ends meet... 'Twasn't easy!!!!

    People in the south probably 'say' 'could have' like could-of--so that's why so many people spell it wrong. The grammatical error which bothers me is when people say "I seen..." instead of "I saw..."

    Have a great week, Creative Lady.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yippee - Amanda - I'm catching up with you. So many good things you've shared. Glad your room is finished - hope you had sweet dreams. You're going to like the phone (and the phone camera). I've really been reading - one of my greatest pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are feeling better! I love your barn photo. Fabulous! It reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an inspiration to many of us ! You are creative and active , a lovely and caring mother and a great wife.That might be tiring from time to time, no surprise that you felt a bit down. I love to hear about your wonderful neighbour- what an amazing woman. As I am not a native English speaker I refrain from making any comments about grammatcal errors....!! Have a great week and enjoy your new room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have guessed you aren't a native English speaker! You speak the language beautifully. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for the compliment! I am German but we are living in the French speaking part of Switzerland…I am still struggling with the French language .
      Waiting for your latest ( newest post?!) Love to read about your life.

      Delete
  14. ....forgot to mention that I like the photo a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can certainly relate to being overwhelmed, and I am glad to hear it has passed! I'll be curious to hear what you think of The Happiness Project--for some reason it bothered me. Enjoy your smartphone! We got our first one (and first cell phone) less than a year ago--some times it feels like I couldn't live without and other times I wonder why I have it! I haven't tried that water color app yet, but what a striking effect it has! Lovely picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life can be a bit overwhelming at times, that's for sure. But the hardy Minnesotans persevere in spite of weather and teenagers et. all. Way to go MOM....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, grammar - it's a mine field!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sleeping in you new room....and a smart phone on it;s way! Delightful happenings for sure. Funny how phone plans (and other things) sometimes work out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete