1. I watched a grouse in the sumac in our backyard today.
The wild sumac around our yard is the only tree with any fruit left on it over the winter.
I've only seen it cleared of it's red clusters in the early spring when birds seem hard put to find anything else to eat.
2. A sign of spring: This old boy, who doesn't like the winter cold but loves to bask
in the sun, was able to lay on our back deck (free of snow!) for the first time since last fall. Today it's covered in snow again. We've had lots of extended wintry weather, but when the sun is out it feels glorious.
3. Some of Mitch's work (this cabin he built) is featured in an article in the current issue of Cabin Life Magazine. They sent us a copy in the mail. I received a call this week from a lady who happened to pick up a copy at her grocery store in Oregon and was interested to learn more about that cabin. Nifty!
4. April Fool's Day - I was duped.
the innocent disguise of a quiet, empty house after everyone was off to
school, I went to fill a pot of water for my morning tea. When I turned on the faucet, I was blasted with cold water from the kitchen sink sprayer - aimed directly at me. The kids put a rubber band around the trigger before they left for school. They've all tried to get me with this prank in the past, and this time they got me good!
5. Last week when sharing things I'm thankful for right now, I mentioned specific academic highlights of Mason, Eric, & Beau's. Johnathan & Lilly are doing great, too - they both brought home special awards for the end of 3rd quarter. They were the voted / chosen recipients of the 4th & 5th grade Citizenship & Responsibility Awards.
Johnathan's teacher sent me a very kind message including this: "You've created a wonderful human being!" I think as a mom, that is the ultimate hope & goal. To create good human beings.
It meant a lot to hear that from a fellow mom & outstanding teacher.