May 25, 2014

It's been a while.

We're in the middle of a beautiful Memorial weekend.  I've been away from updating for twelve days (it feels like longer.)  There has been so much going on. 

•  We had 8 baseball games scheduled within one week, trying to squeeze in a condensed baseball season while weather allowed. 
We pulled some late nights & long miles, and the cold was exhausting.  This past week has been a much better pace & we even had a warm, sunny game, wrapping up the regular season.
Eric with a double coming off the bat.


•  Mason broke his finger.  In three places.  The bone is "fragmented."  (High impact accident fielding a baseball, 2nd to last game of the regular season.)
As I said when Eric broke his collarbone during a football game a year and a half ago - 15 years without a broken bone was a pretty good run.   For Mason, considering all the sports played, trees climbed & stunts pulled in 16 years - breaking a finger just now isn't all that bad.
However, his finger isn't that good.  We met with the hand surgeon Friday.  He'll have a pin/wire placed in his finger this coming week.  
No more throwing curve balls for a while.  


•  The younger kids had track & field day at school.  They're strong runners.  
I had my camera around my neck & ready to shoot, only to realize I'd left the battery charging at home after a late ballgame the night before.  Luckily my phone was handy to catch a few pictures.
Beau, about to take the blue ribbon in the 200 meter race against many older boys:

 
•  Our dog McGee's health has taken a sudden & serious turn.  I've been emotional this week.  He's such a good guy & getting lots of gentle TLC.  
I found him in his favorite chair recently & am so glad I had my phone in my pocket & snapped this photo to capture it.  He is loved.


•  In spare bits of time, we've been working on the final room of our house project / addition transition; the room that will now be our home office. 
This is very exciting, as it's not only the final room in the whole transition, but it's the most visible room and has been the most disturbed throughout the duration of our project.  The end of the mess is near. 

Spring has at last been bursting to life all around us!

•  May 10th:  One of our pond turtles came out to sun.  It's been out with the sun on this same rock every day since.  One of my favorite morning sights.


•  May 11th:  The kids were so enthusiastic about the upswing in weather, they decided to go for a swim in the pond, too.  To give an idea of water temps:  On our way to a baseball tournament the day before, we drove by lakes with ice still on them.  A very early swim by northern MN standards.  Brisk water!


•  May 15th:  I found a bloodroot bloom standing solo in the brown ditch by our mailbox.  The very first bloom of the year for us.

More blooms have followed.  Weeks late & very welcome!

We enjoyed a nice, long, slow walk with McGee the other night.   
Wildflowers are appearing one after another.  Bloodroot, Cowslips, Trillium, Wild Ginger, Wild Oats, Wood Anemone, & more.  Fiddleheads are unfurling.  Trees are leafing out in bright spring green at last.  I took my real camera out.  Photos to come. 

We've had a warm couple of days.
Yesterday I mowed for the first time & stopped to see a couple dozen small toads to safety.
I love mowing and toads.  

I'm sunburned.  Kids are swimming.  Our teens had a backyard fire with a group of friends last night.  The mosquitoes came out.   It's a wonderful time of year.

Coming up this week we have baseball playoffs, a 1st grade play, 5th grade rocket day, High school Awards Banquet, Lilly's 10th birthday, and surgery, among other things. 
And then... summer vacation.  We're ready.

Off to seize the rest of the weekend. 
I hope yours is wonder filled!

Sharing with The Good. The Random. The Fun.

18 comments:

  1. Way to go Beau . . . Congrat's on the Blue Ribbon.
    Sorry about you's sons finger injury . . . I know it well, pin and all . . . however mine was not from playing baseball.
    Is that Lillie in the water . . . what a trooper she is! Brrrrr . . .
    I like a gal who likes to mow . . . a girls gotta do what she has to do.
    Enjoy the rest of your three day weekend before your marathon week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy, busy. Hope the surgery goes well. Beau's comment on your Mother's Day card is true! No wonder you enjoy summer so much - and your long summer vacation season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A double coming off the bat"?? Baseball really is another universe! Nice post.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I wonder why you don't post more often LOL Busy lady you are with all the activities but always glad to hear what is happening your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've definitely been keeping busy over the past couple of weeks, but I'm glad warmer weather has arrived for you. I'm sorry to hear about Mason's finger and McGee's health. I hope both are going to recover just fine. I hope your summer will be happy and fun-filled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having high school baseball during school in Minnesota's spring season is basically a dumb concept. Unless the small towns can each afford to build their own domed stadium. Yah right. I like your attitude about injuries, Mom. Our eldest made it to his senior year before a broken collar bone at football camp in South Dakota forced him to miss the first two games of the season. We watched our boys carefully, let them take prudent risks and live life to the fullest...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of activity going on at your place for sure. Ouch to the broken finger, Hope he heals quickly. Loved your turtles and frogs, what a fun place you must live on to have such cool critters about.
    Oh I do hope your dog gets better. It's sad when they are sick and also when you have to say good-bye to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello There, We just got home from a great week--which was a terrific 'healing' experience for me --as I recover from gallbladder surgery followed by that wicked infection... You'll have to check out my blog post today (if you haven't done so yet).

    You certainly have been BUSY--but isn't it wonderful to see and feel some spring????? So sorry about your son's finger... Hope it heals nicely... What a shame.

    Happy Memorial Day to you and yours... Let's never forget those men and women (past and present) who were/are in the Armed Forces and have done so much to give us the FREEDOM we have today. God Bless ALL of them and God Bless the USA.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What busy time you've been having! Wishing Mason and your dog a speedy recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see spring has finally come to your neck of the woods. Hooray! Sorry to hear about your son's finger. Ouch. Hope his surgery goes well. I took a hike today in the Gorge. The wildflowers were out in force - so pretty! Photo and post to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life has definitely been full for you. You have had a perfect excuse for not blogging. I didn't realize spring was so far behind for you. I'm sure you'll be catching up with the longer days and warmer temperatures.

    Take care. And healing wishes to all at your house who need them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of life - it is amazing. I love the picture of your dog comfy on the chair, and the early season swim takes me back to my childhood where it was a tradition to swim in the river the first day out of school - frigid is putting it mildly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure have been busy! So sorry your poor pup isn't well - he looks so sweet! The baseball shots are amazing - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel badly I didn't say something about your McGee . . .
    Such an adorable face . . . I do hope the warming weather will help put a spring into his step . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. You being busy with your family brings back a lot of memories for me. Sorry to hear about the broken finger, I can totally relate to that as well when our boys played hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry about Mason's finger :-(...I love your photo with the little bitty frog...I think we need to find a new word to replace busy for you, maybe busy-busy is better...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such many things going on with the baseball games ... and then Mason's finger! I hope the surgery is going to be a success ... Your attitude is filled with love and also positivity - it is actually amazing, that it is his first fracture in 16 years, considering how active he is. Ain't it nice to use the phone camera every now and then for the small captures :)
    I hope McGee's doing well ... A faithful friend like him is a treasure and an important part of the family team!
    All the best to you & your wonderful 5 & Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are back, Amanda! Sounds like you have been busy; it is a busy time of year. Glad you are taking time to enjoy the beauty of spring.

    It's hard when our 4-legged loves are not doing well. I hope McGee's health has a positive turn around.

    I hope the rest of your busy week goes well.

    The turtle picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete