June 25, 2014

Marianne's Poppies

The other day I ran over to Marianne's (our 95 year old neighbor) to let her know we're discontinuing our land line service and double check that she had our cell numbers.  On the way, I enjoyed the wild roses at the end of our driveway & was distracted by the beautiful peony blooms at the end of hers.  A perfect, sunny, breezy afternoon to stop and smell the flowers.
Marianne was just getting home from town.  She'd picked up her (nearly 101 year old) sister Helen and brought her down to the farm for an overnight and had just taken her back home & done a little shopping.  She had a bucket of ice cream she wanted to bring us for watching things while she'd flown to Colorado earlier this month, and was curious what's happening up at our house.  So we went for a cruise in the ranger ("riding in style," she calls it.)  First, though - she had me go to the backyard to see her poppies. She says they've never bloomed like this before.







Hope you stop and smell the flowers today, too.

Peace, Love, and Poppies,

Sharing with Rurality Blog Hop

21 comments:

  1. they're beautiful! i hope my 81 yr old neighbor friend stays as healthy and active as marianne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poppy pictures, especially the one with the old barn in the background, and the closeup. You are both lucky to have each other, and I wish Marianne many more years of activity life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flower shots! When I was growing up, we had an elderly couple as next door neighbors. They were like second grandparents to me. Isn't it wonderful to have such great people as neighbors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I've missed you (and you gorgeous photos). Just stopping by to say "hi." Also, happy belated birthday youngun! Have a productive, adventurous summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such warm tenderl thoughts and images came to me as I read about Marianne and the poppies . . .
    Simply beautiful Amanda . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice little story and amazing photos. my favorite is the 2nd one...just in case you wanted to know. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know, because I want to frame one for her and couldn't decide which barn shot I liked best! (Her husband built the barn.)

      Delete
  7. You did well with these poppies. I really like the barn in the background. What lens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat it must be to have Marianne as your neighbor! Her poppies are beautiful.
    Happy belated birthday Amanda. I hope all you wishes come true during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an energetic woman! And her poppies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the poppies, they are gorgeous! Your neighbor sounds like she is a healthy 95 yr old. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope to have an ounce of her energy at that age! Gorgeous poppies!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful poppies and beautiful photos. I really like the soft background focus you achieved in these. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beauty! The second shot is marvelous with the blurry background. So nice to hear that your neighbour is well at such an advanced age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda,
    I'm not sure who is more lucky, Marianne for her good health and having your friendship or you for having a neighbor that is a wonderful example of aging with grace. What fun to share such beauty in character and poppies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful neighbor. My wife has a ninety one year old friend who lives alone on her farm and always spends the major holiday dinners at our house. Spry and sharp and full of fun we enjoy here company and reminisces of long ago....;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well you tell her that the poppies are just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clicking over from Robyn's Ranch Wife Chronicles...

    Lovely, lovely poppies!

    Looking forward to your writing process post!

    Best,
    Emily Grace

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww...so great! And, the poppies sure are lovely.

    ReplyDelete