June 18, 2014

Today's Beauty

Today looked & felt like summer, and we soaked up the beauty of it.
Butterflies & dragonflies were out in full force. 
(Dragonflies eat lots of mosquitoes. I'm always pleased to see them helicoptering around the yard.)

The pond is full of millions of tadpoles.  We can scoop these small ones by the hand-or bucket-full.  In the cattail pond there are much larger ones, I think they'll be leopard frogs.  Due to excessive rain, we even have tadpoles in parts of yard where I usually mow.

I found our first wild iris bloom of summer. 
They open faithfully each year for my birthday (which is this week.)

Water lilies are blooming, too.

Our resident painted turtles were out sunning, and the kids found this one out on the gravel road after the county replaced a culvert where the road had washed out.  (again - excessive rain.)
It pains us to see turtles hit by cars, so they brought it to safe habitat.  We let her go near sandy soil in case she was looking to lay her eggs, but she was layed back and in no hurry to go anywhere.  I think she had just been disturbed by the road work.

It takes a turtle several years to grow this size.
What a beauty she is!  That big healthy shell!  

At about this moment, I saw a garter snake too, but we all know I don't photograph snakes. 
It was a lovely day. 
All the robins are busy feeding their young.
Johnathan has seen a clutch of baby grouse on the driveway, always a fun sight!
We're still waiting to see our first fawns of the year, mamas are keeping them in good hiding.
"In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia."
- Charles A. Lindbergh
Aviator
- See more at: http://wilderness.org/article/famous-quotes#sthash.qsfgrJGM.dpuf
"In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia."
- Charles A. Lindbergh
Aviator
- See more at: http://wilderness.org/article/famous-quotes#sthash.qsfgrJGM.dpuf
"In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia."
- Charles A. Lindbergh
Aviator
- See more at: http://wilderness.org/article/famous-quotes#sthash.qsfgrJGM.dpuf

Wishing you plenty of wildness where you are.  

Our World Tuesday

14 comments:

  1. Such lovely happenings in your neck of the woods Amanda. With the summer solstice coming your way within days, it amazes me to hear you are not even in summer yet. It woulds so anomalous.
    Our winter is growing colder but since I cove my lettuces and parsley at night, I still get more than I can handle and give way loads t friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your sunshine pictures . . .
    We are having rain and then more rain . . .
    and very hot, more Mosquitos.
    I think it might be an indoor read a book day!
    About as WILD as I will be . . .
    Happy turtle saves . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. and a very Happy Birthday Amanda . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful time of year! Gorgeous captures - and have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great day on your special one, your birthday. I love the pictures and am so glad to see that lovely turtle is safe and sound with you. I am also wondering when it will start to warm up, we haven't even seen 65 degrees in a week, when a cold front moved through. I'm not unhappy, though. I don't do well in the heat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved your joyful beauty. glad you're getting some more relaxing days. :) your turtle is so clean. ours always have more algae on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as if summer is getting off to a great start for all of you. Your first photo is absolutely gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yahoo for summer days! What a great collection of photos, and I'm glad you rescued that turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool summery moments. :) Those tadpoles would have scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year June has been one for the record books; simply beautiful. It was slow coming, but your spring blooms are worth the wait!

    We got 2" of rain Tuesday night. We are super saturated with water. All is good at our place. There are reports of flooding around us and some ranchers to the east of us got hailed out.

    Happy Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beauty - love that butterfly shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You all seem to enjoy the good weather and the beginning of a long and lazy(!) summer.What a looking turtle... And how good that you managed to safe her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. and Happy Birthday Amanda....:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda your pictures of the turtles (and all the rest) are great. I just happened upon your blog and have really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete