September 24, 2014

Splendor & Mishaps | Autumnal Equinox

We are thoroughly celebrating September this year.  The weather has been notably good.
Leaves will be reaching their fall color peak within the next few days here.  Many are already falling to the ground.

My mom and I took our kayaks out together the afternoon before her birthday last week.  It was her first time in a kayak, and my first time on this particular non-motorized designated trout stream lake.  

Over the weekend, we enjoyed a day of exploring a Minnesota state park, then another just over the Wisconsin state line.  The leaves in that area weren't turning much yet, but the weather was perfect.

Mitch & I spent an evening this week deep in the woods behind our house.  We made our way to a beaver pond, where we watched a majestic pair of swans, busy kingfishers, and some unidentified swimming birds.  I also enjoyed the presence of a chipmunk who was busy stuffing its cheeks. 


A small pond tucked in the woods:

Between all the fall splendor, I accidentally poured a cup of chai directly on my camera while carrying too many things at once.   I had a migraine for a day.. This time of year our to-do list is long, time is of the essence, I hate to have valuable days taken.  And the hard drive on my desktop began to crash.  "Imminent danger of failure" were the words I last saw on the screen.  It's not to be turned on again until all of my photos and files are safely rescued.  (We've mentioned replacing that computer for over a year now.. these things seem to put themselves off until desperate situations strike.) 

My head is better.  My camera survived without major issue, though it's a bit gummy in some of the switches and crevices and will be sent away for cleaning.  And my computer - well with this week's colors and weather being so beautiful and fleeting, I'm not sure just yet when I'll make the 160 mile round trip to the Geek Squad.  I was in the middle of editing grad photos, too.  Unfortunate timing! 
I was able to get some of these pictures of our autumn outings onto my laptop for the time being. 

We're anticipating another Fall adventure this coming weekend.
So much to do, so much to admire - I find myself torn between the two.  :)
I believe last Fall I called this time of year "savoring while we scurry."

Peace, Love, and Falling Leaves,

14 comments:

  1. Nice pics, as always! Hope your computer (and photos) can be saved. Darn technology, always messing up at the least inconvenient time. Enjoy those wonderful fall days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just beautiful. sorry about the computer woes and camera worries. but soak in that wonderland of autumn while you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are trying to, "savor while we scurry". So much to do with school, work, and sports. But, we all get it done in due time! Good luck with the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What absolutely beautiful pictures! I do hope you can get the gummy out of the camera soon. It didn't seem to make any difference in the quality of your photos. Love them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful fall...still in the 100's my way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Computers never pick a convenient time to 'act up', do they? I'm sorry to hear about your migraine and the mishaps, but I'm glad you had time to enjoy (and share) the magnificent beauty of September in your part of our world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous fall colors. The lake shots are so pretty. Glad your camera is pretty much okay, not so good news about the computer. I'm always dreading having something like that happen to ours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There, We are home from several days in Texas visiting family/friends. If you haven't seen my blog post today, check it out.. We had a wonderful time--but came home very TIRED.... ha

    Your Fall colors are terrific. We are just beginning to get some color here. I took a picture this week of our Dogwood --which is one of the first things to change colors.. Can't wait until ours get colorful like yours.

    Sorry about your computer --but glad that the camera is okay.. AND--I'm glad that your migraine is better.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope everything resolves itself! What gorgeous shots you have here, hopefully I'll be able to get out and about before all the color is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like quite a week! Fall has a funny way of making me feel at peace while never having any downtime. Busy indeed. Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like one of these weeks ...But you managed some beautiful pictures, you are so lucky to be living in such a wonderful area. September has been kind to us, more sun than rain and the leaves are just starting to turn. Have a better week next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So goes life, Amanda. I had a few mishaps this past week too. We live and learn and are grateful for all that we have. In the big picture life is good.

    My folks were here visiting for a couple days. Mom and I took full advantage of going on photography adventures. I wish I had someone to adventure with on a regular basis. We had fun!

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sense of adventure in all of this.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you Amanda - you sound busy. I hope your head, the camera, and your photos survive and thrive!

    ReplyDelete