November 20, 2014

November. My Now.

I've started to post several times over the past couple of months, and for various reasons haven't finished.  So I'm starting fresh today. 

Today.  
It's cold in Minnesota (frigid they call it.)  Winter arrived early and abruptly for us. 
The view outside my window:


Inside, I'm incredibly grateful for warm fires.

After a busy fall (October had us go-go-going, long miles back and forth, which I don't care for.. makes me feel like I'm part of a great global rat race).. November brought welcome temporary change. 
We've had about a month off from sports events.
Hunting took center stage.
Our dinners have been full of good things.  Venison.  Grouse.  Goose.  More grouse and venison. 
With dark coming earlier, we've been enjoying a lot more time inside our home together. 
Pictionary in the living room with the younger kids, and nightly chats with our young adult kids.

I've been able to sit down with a book or two or three.  Whoever said "travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer" forgot about books.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” ― Charles William Eliot
I agree about travel, too though.  I've had a persistent yearning to go somewhere I've never been for months.

November is a busy birthday month for us.
Mason and Eric turned seventeen years old last weekend.
Johnathan turned twelve the weekend before.  Time keeps on slipping into the future.

The clock change and the cold, along with birthday shenanigans, have tired us out some.
Naps have happened here & there.

All of the sudden we have four kids playing basketball.  Both Mitch & I agree, we didn't see that coming.
I spent Monday in Duluth on a mission to find a pair of 11.5 basketball shoes, among other things. 
I took this picture on my way.  A blustery, biting cold November day. 

Thankful for mittens, scarves, hats, warm boots.
Our snow sleds are out.  We have a slippery base under the snow, which makes for fast traveling sleds.  The other day Beau went sailing into the woods, getting into a scuffle with wild raspberry bushes.  He came out with scrathes all over one cheek that look like wildcat whiskers.

I'm thinking holidays much earlier than usual.. the weather & whiteness may have something to do with that.  Wow, this year has flown.

I have much to catch up on.   This was a start. 
Peace, Love, and Very Warm Wishes,

15 comments:

  1. Nice to hear how things are for you up there in the cold north. Time is flying by here. Wedding at the end of the year. Thanksgiving and Christmas and parties before that. I've been busy decorating earlier than usual because of all the events between now and the wedding. Not much blogging time though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to see you back here, Amanda. And your pictures, as always, are stunning. I especially love the one of the hearth with the bowl in the foreground. And those gorgeous eyelashes, too. I look forward to reading and seeing more of your beautiful family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always a treat to see "wildly simple" pop up in my iPad . . .
    Loved the qute about books being a quiet friend . . .
    Happy Birth Days to the seventeen, (11.5) kiddos and the younger one too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. and your "grateful thoughts" warm me up perfectly . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - this early winter we are experiencing here in Michigan also has me thinking about the holidays before I normally would. Your photos are lovely ~ stay warm, enjoy your nights with your family and your books, it sounds idyllic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it hard to find 'quiet time' even though we're retired and have no family nearby. I can hardly imagine busy you are kept with all the activities you and your children are involved in. I'm glad you're able to escape to a good book every once in a while. Enjoy those winter evenings at home with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear from you! Hope all is well in the great white north of Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  8. always love to see / hear of your kids. good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know where the year has gone rather, didn't we just have Christmas?, and here it comes again.
    I too have had scanty blogging over the last few months. Sometimes life just takes precedence.
    Nice to see you having quiet times with the family and getting some time to get engrossed in books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your seasons bring such changes to your routines and activities - in a pleasant way. Love all the wood, nature and white images through your home photos. More hot, hot days here but still mostly pleasant at night when the air conditioner can be turned off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda, Great to hear from you. I keep reading about all of the SNOW up north... Actually, we have had some of that frigid weather here. We've already had two small snows--and it's only Nov. 20... Goodness---crazy month we are having!!!! AND to think: We are still trying to get the leaves out of our yard... Not sure if I have ever had to sweep both snow and leaves off of our deck... ha

    Stay WARM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your lovely boys! The dinners with venison sounds scrumptious ...and a break from sports ... Enjoy the season for indoors-life - with books by the fire :)
    I am already looking for some books to Christmas Holidays from the library ... And waiting for the snow...
    Happy weekend to you, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your book quote AND your coffee table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like your family is busy but in a good way, Amanda. Happy Birthday to the birthday boys. Your world looks a lot like mine. We're due for another winter storm starting tonight. I have to snap on skis or use snowshoes now on the trails. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to see all is well, Amanda. Basketball (boys) was my favorite sport to coach...:)

    ReplyDelete