March 13, 2015

Our Now | Our Five

[This Moment]   A single photo, capturing a moment from the week.  A simple, special, extraordinary moment.  A moment I want to pause, savor and remember.

After dinner one night this week, I was standing at our kitchen island and had to stop what I was doing, grab my phone with messy hands from nearby, and sneak a picture. 
Family.  Together.  Homework.  Siblings.  All five kids under one roof, in one room, in one frame. 
These moments are precious. 

This is our now.

[Random Five]

 
1.  With spring in the air, so is baseball, prom, and the anticipation of so many things.  But for now we have a break between sports and it's wonderful.  Unhurried evenings and family time are wonderful.  The hour of daylight added to the end of the day is wonderful. 

2.  Mason & Eric and a friend made pies last night to take to school in celebration of upcoming Pi Day. (The jello instant pudding type.)  They never pass up a reason to celebrate with food.  Our mailbox has been taken over by mail from colleges, addressed to the two of them. 

3.  Johnathan isn't a kid who necessarily stands out, per se.  Yet I received an email this week from one of his teachers telling me how hardworking he is, a joy to have in class, a great child, that I should be proud.  This is not the first time I've gotten a message of this sort about Johnathan.  
It's nice to hear those kind words. I am proud.

4.  Lilly is very keen on illustrating minions lately.  Our refrigerator is never dull or lacking art.
As I've said since she was a toddler adding purple polk-a-dots with marker to the white stripes of her bed skirt: The world is her canvas. 

5.  I joined Beau for an Author and Artist Celebration in the 2nd grade classroom this afternoon.  It was super.
He & I are headed to the performing arts theater tonight to see The Adventures of Flat Stanley.  He wore his knee high mud boots home from school, luckily we won't need those to go to the theater.  I'll encourage him to wiggle that loose tooth on our way there. 

Peace, Love, and PS: I spotted the first robin at the edge of our yard yesterday.  
Happy Springing!

14 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful picture. I had to search for the sixth person, but I found him. And I'm so glad that spring is finally coming to your part of the world, Amanda. Very nice random five, BTW. :-)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Delightful post Amanda . . . love that TOGETHERNESS photo around the table!
    Proud parent moments are nice to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious moments indeed, good to appreciate them before they are no longer 'routine'. Sounds like all things family are going well, just how we like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I love that photo, Amanda - it brings tears to my eyes. Glad you captured that special moment in time. Soon your twins will go away to college, and the family dynamics will change. It's wonderful to remember and celebrate the special talents and characteristics of each child. All unique and all bearing gifts in their own way. (Hope Beau had good luck with his tooth on Friday 13 - I hear the Tooth Fairy has to pay double on this day!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo ... a very special moment in time. Your house is busy. Love the pi pies! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest picture of your children! I also love the in between of sports and activities. Gearing up to 'go' again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photo! Such a great family. You must be so proud of your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely feeling of being a family and "us" in your post, Amanda!
    Yes, the kitchen serves as the "heart" of the home, pulsing life and fellowship!
    Happy weekend to you!
    Nina
    PS: I'd love to see the Lilly's illustrated minions :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo is marvelous. I'm glad you were able to capture the moment. Congratulations on seeing the first robin of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful heartwarming post. You can feel the Love you have for your kids in every word you type here. I think California decided to head right to summer. it is almost 90 here today. Hopefully it will cool down a bit. Hope you are enjoying your weekend my friend.

    Hugs, Linda
    My Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right! This picture says it all.Love how the older brothers lean over their siblings - helping and feeling responsible. A true family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Just got home from a nice trip to Arkansas to celebrate George's birthday. I will blog about it tomorrow.

    Now--it's time to start working in the yard, cleaning up all of the 'junk' from the ice storm. What a mess!!!

    Hope you are doing well. You have such wonderful kids ---and I love reading about them... Love that picture.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo! Glad you were able to capture it. :)

    ReplyDelete