October 20, 2015

Wild Sumac, Fall Color Feast

One of my favorite features of fall is the turning of the wild sumac around us.
Sumac are considered shrubs, or rarely small trees.  We're lucky to have them surrounding our home in small tree form, and each day of early fall they are a dramatic sight to watch as their leaves change color.

 
  



Sumac gets its name from the word red. 
Our variety is called Staghorn Sumac, for the velvety branches that resemble the velvet on an antler as it grows. 
 



All that's left on the sumac today are the fuzzy fruit spikes on bare branches.
These turn a bold crimson that stand out against the white of winter, often the only color to be found in our backyard for months.  Come spring, if the robins are hard up for things to eat upon their return, they'll clear the fruit in a matter of a few hours. 

I appreciated this year's fall color feast more than any I remember.  Each day, I woke to the view of a big maple in our backyard framed from our upstairs window and feasted my eyes on the rich colors.
Our fall world is very much a "feast before the famine."  As the last leaves fall, we'll enter a monochromatic landscape for the long winter months ahead.   

I'm thankful to have observed another beautiful season as the sumac turned. 

Peace, Love, and sharing with Our World,

21 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Amanda. I love the sumac colors, but yours are especially gorgeous. Must be the eye of the photographer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully creative macro shots of the beautiful colors of the sumac!

    Happy week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the brilliant colors of the sumac. This year's color is not as vibrant up here, even so, I really appreciate the feast before the famine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors. Our sumac leaves are pretty much gone now, they seem to be the first to change and the first to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sumac seems to be the first to turn color in our wooded area . . .
    Brilliant in the color too!
    Lovely pics Amanda . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. How gorgeous! Love all that riot of wild colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's such a rich beauty in autumn colors. I love your spiky things and the variety of colors on one branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would very much love to witness the color transformation of flora whenever the fall season approaches. So far I've only seen this in books and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it is a color feast for the eyes. Lovely colors and images. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you could enjoy a long, slow fall, Amanda. Your photos are wonderful. Our fall has also been amazing, but winter is now approaching. The peaks got snow overnight, and today there are occasional flurries at the house, though none laying on the ground as yet. I'm preparing for the long white winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Amanda! I saw a ton of sumac in Pennsylvania last week, added such a nice pop of red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are gorgeous! I would be soaking in those stunning colours too, appreciating the changing scene day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great colours - we don't have the weather or the right sort of trees to get lots of autumn colours (and its spring anyway!) - but I'll make do with these.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. October in all its glory. So wonderfully captures. Always feel sad at the end of the month with November lingering around the corner with the cold and the grey sky and long nights...I am in love with spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've a lot of Sumac in our region, it was almost the only tree I could identify for a while :-)on arriving here, it is a lovely reminder of home..my favourite photo today is the third, it is the tinge of yellow along the edge of the leaves...stunning touch of Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous. I just love the sumac and also my burning bushing with their bright red colors....;)

    ReplyDelete