September 5, 2016

Nana

My grandma June passed away this weekend at the age of 91.
Nana (what most of us grandkids called her) was a part of so many lives, perhaps something a little different to each of us.  This is what she was to me.
She was the oldest of three sisters and little brother, Jackie.  Her parents were Metta & Ernest Stewart. I never knew her dad, but Great Grandma Stewart lived a near-century life as well. Nana always called her "Mother."
She married my grandpa, John Darvin Simmons when she was 17. Had her first child at 20 (8 pounds, 8 ounces), delivering 11 babies over the course of 22 years, with children under her roof for 4 decades.  I thought of her often during my own uncomfortable 3rd and 4th pregnancies. Eleven. Uffda.
She had 29 grandchildren, 50+ great grandchildren, and half a dozen great-great grandchildren. Her genes carry on through nearly a hundred of us. Surprisingly, Mason and Eric are the only twins. (But they are definitely not the only ones with cowlicks.)
Add son- and daughter-in-laws, spouses and more, and family gatherings have always been big.  Holidays were a full house growing up.  
When I was very small, she had horses named Sugarfoot and Feiry (I've never tried to spell this horse's name before, I may have it wrong), an accordion, and a little dog named Heidi. 
Nana often stayed for extended periods with us when I was growing up.  We played many hands of rummy and games of 10,000.  She was not one to play down to grandchildren, we had to learn to play up to her.  She was always working on crocheting a blanket (one for each new baby and graduation in the family) and had a game of solitaire, a crossword, or puzzle of some kind going.  Nana was sharp and her handwriting was beautiful.
A fine seamstress, she altered my wedding dress with skilled hand.  Her chocolate chip cookies were thick. It made her smile with satisfaction that my kids always drank all their milk.  She did not like heights and didn't drive.  She was a weather watcher.
While she lived and traveled often between northern Iowa and northern Minnesota, she lived fairly close by most of my life.  We were even neighbors for a short while; we lived in an apartment 2 doors down for 6 months while building our house.
She was a meticulous housekeeper and laundress. She ironed.
I preferred visiting with Nana one-on-one in my adult years. When there wasn't a crowd, she had much to say. I enjoyed hearing her memories of being pulled to school over snowdrifts in a horse drawn sled, with heated slates tucked under wool blankets to keep their feet warm.
She carried with her memories of the Great Depression, her husband was wounded by shrapnel in the South Pacific in WWII, and she sent sons off to Vietnam.  She saw great change in her lifetime and wondered more and more what our world was coming to.  She disliked the internet.
She was healthy the majority of her 91 years, declining rapidly this past week.
Thinking of her kids, as it's been a tough and tiring time for them. 
She is remembered by many.

My maternal grandparents, June & John Simmons
Nana with her 10 kids, Thompson Park Family Reunion 1988-ish  

Nana and I, my wedding day 1997

Nana, Johnathan & Beau on her 90th birthday, 2015

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful person Nana was. She lived a full and eventful life. Thank you so much for sharing some of it with me. May she rest in peace. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute, Amanda. Your Nana had a full life. I cannot imagine 11 children. She deserves your family's adoration. My sympathies to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the loss of your beloved Nana. What a wonderful tribute you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to read about the death of your Nana. BUT--it sounds like she had many wonderful years ---and that you and your family got to enjoy her for many of those years.. My mother died at the age of 91 --but my mom only had 3 children... I cannot imagine having 11... Woooo---that would be a huge Family Reunion now...

    Blessings to you and the family.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to remember those we have loved and write it down too. A redoubtable lady with soul and strong genes by the by the likeness that has filtered down to your sons. So sorry for your loss Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post - what better way for a person to be remembered than through the love of her family.

    Hope all else is well - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memories there of a remarkable lady....:)

      Delete
  8. Your love and respect to your Nana through your words is tangible to me, I am sorry for your loss, Amanda. A deep wisdom, accumulated by the life lived, is to be found in our parents and grandparents ... It is a gift to you and your family, that you've had Nana all these years. She will still be with you in the stories she's shared, in the memories of moments spend together ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda,
    My heart goes out to you! Your Nana sounds like a lovely lady and one that you were lucky to have in your life and the lives of your children.

    This was a beautifully written post about someone special to you.
    Blessings and Hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful tribute Amanda, memories and thoughts well recorded. It is a wonderful thing to have known relatives whose lives are an example and whose character is an inspiration such as your Grandma June's. Also lovely that your children are all old enough to have some good memories of her too.

    ReplyDelete